Potential poor True North TN20 wood stove insert install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jjames12

Dec 18, 2021
Washington State
First timer. I look forward to learning and participating in the forum. I also appreciate the time of all contributors.

I wont give you the sob story of how I believe I was mislead on the install of the True North TN20 insert. I've attached pictures to hopefully get some help ensuring my family remains safe, that I can fix it properly if it needs it, and it meets Pierce County, Washington code. I'm not currently using it. I put the black plastic bag under the rain cap to keep any snow or rain out until I can properly secure it.

I've used the stove for two years now. I clean it mid season and at the end of the season using a chimney brush that attaches to my drill. Our furnace broke so I used it as the primary heat source for two years. Once we were able to get a new furnace I've been using it as supplemental heat. With it not running 24/7 I started getting smoke coming from the bottom of the insert out of the air control area until the fire became hot enough. I also noticed it had a significant cold draft coming from the the insert cover into the house. When I took the front cover off I noticed there wasn't any insulation going up. When I took the rain cap off I also noticed the liner wasn't insulated and that there wasn't any insulation up top, along with the cap not being sealed to the chimney which was allowing a significant amount of heat to escape. With not have much experience in this area I tried to get a couple companies out here to look at it but the soonest someone can come out is MAR!

Once again I appreciate any help or ideas to give me piece of mind that I'm not endangering my family or the house.

Thanks,
Jesse

Fireplace 1.jpg Fireplace 3.jpg Fireplace 4.jpg Fireplace 5.jpg Fireplace 6.jpg Fireplace 7.jpg Fireplace 8.jpg Fireplace 9.jpg Fireplace 10.jpg Fireplace 11.jpg Fireplace 1.jpg Fireplace 2.jpg Fireplace 3.jpg Fireplace 4.jpg Fireplace 5.jpg Fireplace 6.jpg Fireplace 7.jpg Fireplace 8.jpg Fireplace 9.jpg Fireplace 10.jpg Fireplace 11.jpg

As long as the chimney was built to code w/ the proper clearances its looks alright, You may want to remove the liner and insulate it, anchor the termination cap, install a block off plate with fireproof insulation on top to keep the cold from entering the room behind the insert.

It's not that bad. Yes, the liner should have been insulated, but that often is not done around here, especially if this was a cost-competitive installation. Adding an insulated block-off plate at the damper area will help a lot. Was the top cap anchored with screws? The top cap should be sealed at the top of the flue with a healthy bead of silicone and screwed snug to the chimney.

Agree, look fine. Just install a block off plate, or at a minimum just stuff some rockwool in there to prevent the heat from escaping.

If it was me, I'd want some of that creosote brushed off, but I'm with the other guys, it's not a bad job. I'd insulate it too.

It's not that bad. Yes, the liner should have been insulated, but that often is not done around here, especially if this was a cost-competitive installation. Adding an insulated block-off plate at the damper area will help a lot. Was the top cap anchored with screws? The top cap should be sealed at the top of the flue with a healthy bead of silicone and screwed snug to the chimney.
I appreciate the replies. I made a block-off plate template out of cardboard. It sits about 9" off the stove. Does it need to go higher? The top cap wasn't anchored. It looks like there was a small bead on the bottom. When I went up there to look at the chimney if felt like a blow dryer coming out from underneath the top cap. I also attached a picture of the inside of the chimney showing some mold and moisture. I'm not sure if that's due the recent snow and rain that we've had or if there's a leak in the chimney.

Blocking Plate Template.jpg Mold and Moisture.jpg Blocking Plate Template 2.jpg

9" is fine. The moisture source should be investigated. It may be failing mortar joints in the chimney.