Power Outage Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I spoke to the well man yesterday. Might be a couple grand or more for constant pressure, variable speed pump. He told me he tells customers that submersible well pumps last fifteen to twenty years. Mine's sixteen. Guess could consider a pre-emptive replacement in summer. Downsides used to be power quality issues-Grundfos also uses power line comms. Not sure of reliability.

No need to drain the bowl in my experience. Once the bowl is sucked low enough that the jets only suck air then you know those jets don’t have gas on them. No gas, no deposits.

I use Stabil pretty religiously too. Sometimes you think you're going to get back to or need something and it doesn't happen so I use it no matter what. Add at the gas station and definitely seems to save a lot headaches but...

I've pulled a number of float bowls and found dried the crystally sometimes flaky dried residue and even rust. Stabil doesn't prevent evaporation and any residue left behind. If that happens enough times it can end up getting in the jets and other small passages or cause the bowl or needle to hang up and fill you oil with gas. This is why some argue it's actually better not to run the carb dry and to leave the tank and carb full when gas has been Stabilized.

Personally, if I'm putting a piece of equipment to bed for the season I run it out of fuel and if there's no float drain I'll choke and continue to try and start. Electric start is handy for this but either way I'm sometimes surprised how long the motor will run again after it has been "run dry".

My push mower (Briggs), snow blower (Tecumseh HS80), Coleman genset and the Champion all have drains so I use 'em. Whole other procedure for the 2 stroke stuff.

High test at one local convenience store chain is ethanol free.

If it was available here I'd use it but the ethanol gas doesn't give me too much trouble. The subsidy, politics and effectiveness of the program I'm not so sure about.