powerline scroungin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I have a new routine with the boys after school - hit the powerline, watch them walk the dog in the distance as I cut ( they need to keep their hearing ) and they come back as I load when the saw stops. Got a nice stading dead red oak that was very dry, (not pictured) this load of soft maple, a few sassafras and hick for poles, and a big white oak that will take another load to get back - my S10 is already beat from 1/2 ton loads of pellets from my previous stove. Had fun yanking the big oak out of the brush with her though. Will cut rounds a bit smaller next time....ugh..

Attachments

• boysmaple.jpg
    boysmaple.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 545
  • Boysoak.jpg
    Boysoak.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 570
Nice grab!

osagebow said:
Will cut rounds a bit smaller next time....ugh..
Yes sir, I would be splitting those Oak in half before attempting to load 'em...unless I could back up to that slope and roll 'em onto the gate. :eek:hh:

Nice after school activity.

I agree with Woody, those rounds are too heavy for my wrecked old back. :shut:
Fortunetly my boys are a little older than yours and both have strong backs. ;-P

I think I would be shot on sight by unmarked helicopters if I went scrounging on my local power lines. Too close to a nuclear power plant and NYC. Sadly there was some major cutting along them in the last few years too. Hundreds of cords of wood were either chipped or left to rot.

yer truck may be beat up a little, but that's a nice Steelers decal on the bed! Great scrounge, Osage!

Time with the kids, enjoy as they grow up all too quickly.

Nice routine, can't wait til my little ones are old enough to help.

For a minute, I thought I was going to see the power lines on the ground. Good thing you didn't cut those nice straight pines that are located in the middle of the ROW although they'd probably burn great!!!

Nice load you brought in.

Nice load of wood. Good stuff too.
It'll add up & be some good heat next season.
Boys are having fun, soon they'll be wanting to run the maul, saw & drive
Great outings they'll remember forever :)

Memories lol
My family has been heating with wood almost my entire life of 50 yrs.
we would take the end of summers and go to the POWER LINES they cut the trees and
pile the piles all we had to do is load 3 trucks at a time unload and go back again about 10 cords
in a month and we were good for the next year.
there were 8 of us cutting loading and crying are we done yet
we always had wood all over the yard!!
now we have a tree removal guy that brings the wood ( a hell of alot easier)
but we still get together to cut/split and stack for dad but havent been to the lines for a long time
now I am burning might have to look back there again (or steal some of dads supplier)

those powerlines kept our family close you never know who's gonna have the chainsaw (dont piss them off :lol: )
there are 4 girls 4 boys and mom & dad all out there if you want heat you cut wood

actually had a new oil heater in new house did not know it was not working for almost 5 years because we used the wood burners never thought of oil

americana in the kitchen and a insert in the fireplace heating 4500 sqft home

Nice kids, dog and truck-the only thing that would've made it better is if it was a Penguins decal rather than Steelers lol! I HAD to say that as I am a Pens fan but a Broncos fan so please don't hate me!

I admire your strength to be able to wrestle those rounds and branches. Like many others on here, I notice my strength diminishing as I get older so enjoy it while you have it. I still get the work done but I sure do feel it more...

Nice work there!!!

Thanks guys - yeah, the boys gotta get big quick before I cave...I'm only 41 but they ain't "highway miles" : )
They are already keen to use a hatchet, not quite big enough though.

Mo - they'll get there soon enough!

I wonder what kind of BTU's huge treated pine has Muck? lol...

FlatBed - Sorry to hear that, ...a short permit process would easily clear that up, but makes too much darn sense. We can get a permit to go on nat'l forest land to get felled trees here in VA., and this line runs through one.

Scotty - gotta love them Steelers -my dad actually golfed a lot with the field goal kicker from the 70's (Roy Gerela), and was part of a locally famous group called the "Gerela's gorillas", so I got to meet a lot of those great players growing up. Wished I'd had a pen in my hand with a truckload of footballs LOL...

hey PA - thanks.Love the pens! Very impressed with Tebow and the Broncos, rooted for them this year - great run. But the only Steeler game I ever got to as a kid, Elway just demolished us lol...still a class act though.

Miss the civic arena, haven't seen the new place yet

osagebow said:
hey PA - thanks.Love the pens! Very impressed with Tebow and the Broncos, rooted for them this year - great run. But the only Steeler game I ever got to as a kid, Elway just demolished us lol...still a class act though.

Miss the civic arena, haven't seen the new place yet

Yeah, it was nice to be able to say "I'm a Broncos fan" this year after the last 1.5 terrible seasons with that idiot Josh McDaniels as coach-what a joke!

And I sure do love my Pens too; they are doing very well despite Crosby being out. I don't know if he'll be back or not; we're trying to stay hopeful but it isn't looking so great right now which would be a shame 'cause he's really something special.

I hear the new arena is beautiful but doesn't have the charm of the old Igloo; was there twice years ago and it was great-too bad they are tearing it down.

Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.