Prayers for Captain tonight.http://www.hearth.com/talk/data/attachments/96/96102-0f85119185569c5d3e9

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MasterMech

Our 8 YO Labradoodle, Captain Hook, is undergoing emergency surgery for a twisted stomach this evening. Prayers and hopes for his recovery. :(

tn_captainhookk.jpg capt'n 11 wks 3 days (1).JPG 17 wks.jpg captain 5 months 3 wks (3).JPG 6 days old pocos 4th litter captain w. babies june 08.JPG Captain & Leo, 1 yr 7.5 months (1).JPG captn swimming 6-1-07 (14).JPG captain dress up as brian (5).JPG captain in kiddie pool may 2007 (12).JPG Captain 11-16-08 (2).JPG

Thoughts and prayers MM. I have shed as many tears for my best friends as I have for any of the humans in my life. They are such a joy and comfort when you need them, and they are always there for you. Hope Captain makes it. Keep us posted.

Reactions: MasterMech
Ohh man, that hit a close chord. I love poolabs. Had one and his son, a shep-poo-lab too. Those puppy shots remind me of him. They have wonderful personalities. Hope he pulls through this stronger than ever.

What a gorgeous pup. I am sure he will be fine

Sending major Dixie & Matisse snuffles your way for the Captain.

Hope all is well.

Thoughts & prayers go out to you & Captain Hook .We know how important these guys are enhancing our quality of life.

prayers on the way. Keep us updated.

Captain made it through surgery and is recovering well. With any luck he will home tonight but may return to the vet for another day of monitoring tomorrow.

Can't express how much the positive sentiments expressed here mean to me and my wife especially. The dogs are children in this house.

A little late to the party - but that is good new. I am currently watch my big dog swirl the drain. No pain that I am aware of, but can't hear, can't see and I think dementia has set in. I don't think there is much time remaining. She has been a great dog.

A little late to the party - but that is good new. I am currently watch my big dog swirl the drain. No pain that I am aware of, but can't hear, can't see and I think dementia has set in. I don't think there is much time remaining. She has been a great dog.
:( It's not a fun thing to watch for sure. Hurts not seeing Captain at his best, I can imagine how you feel.

Sounds like the surgery was successful. Now on the mend. Best of luck to you.

Jags, that is really sad.

Glad to hear your dog is ok. Was it "bloat" or something else? My BIL lost a beautiful horse to bloat, had to put him down, they couldn't un-do it and it had kept happening. Talk to your vet about re-occurance and prevention. If you don't have pet insurance, might be worth looking into. We almost lost our Jack Russell a few years back, got one those danged bulb squeakers out of a toy at a friends house (i don't buy anything stuffed or squeaky) and swallowed it, got stuck in his intestines and $1500 later, they found it, cut it out and he fully recovered. I have both dogs insured thru Pet Plan, based on breed, age and where you live, the premiums were low, it gives me piece of mind that I won't have to debate ever going to after hour emergency vets or anything as plan covers 80-100% (except routine shots/check ups)

Sending lots of doggie kisses for a speedy recovery!

Just another update:

Captain is spending the night at the vet. They were not ready to release him this evening. My wife was a hard sell but it's really what's best for him right now.

Was it "bloat" or something else?​

It was but my wife is a dog professional and caught it early enough to save his life.

If you don't have pet insurance, might be worth looking into.​

We used to have them insured with VP pet insurance but we were still spending nearly the same amount on regular preventative care that we would've without the plan. We were spending more to insure the pups than we were to insure ourselves. (I have a great empoyer-sponsored plan.) Premiums went up every year as the pups aged so we decided to bank the premium $$ and spend what has to be spent when the time comes.

Glad you wife picked up on it as every minute counts in that scenario. I have had my guys on PetPlan and never had an increase, maybe I should check my policy! Good call out.

Keep us posted on Captain, we are all praying for him!

Now THAT is one cool dude :cool:
Captain 11-16-08 (2).JPG

I am familiar with that situation, and they can recover nicely from it. Hope he does it fast :)

Status
Not open for further replies.