Pre 2020 Summit insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
I may have the chance to buy a floor model, new, never burned, but still the floor model. I can get this at a deal (price yet to be determined) because it will soon be illegal to sell. The dealer needs to unload it to make room for the 2020.

Seeking advice. Any reason to shy away from the pre-2020 unit? Downsides of not having the latest and greatest? Downsides to buying a floor model?

I ran all my measurements today. It will fit. I have been eyeballing the unit for a couple years. Larger firebox is my goal. N/S loading and larger loads equal less hassling around now that the family has gone from 2 to 4.

No reason to shy away from it. That's a great insert, especially if the prices is good too. FWIW, our 2008 Alderlea was a floor model too. Just make sure that you get all the parts. Sometimes floor models can be scavenged to supply a customer in need of a quick part.

Great, thank you.

I actually just spoke with the dealer, oddly enough they have the floor model available and ALSO a very slightly used model as well. According to the dealer, they took it in as a buyback form a customer who had them install it and ultimately, they did not like using an insert and went back to a fireplace.

Same question. Any reason to shy away assuming it’s really “slightly used”?

What should I be looking for to make sure it’s in good shape?

It's hard to comment on the used model without actually seeing it. The insert may have received very little use or it may have been burned hard. It could be a decent deal depending on condition and of course pricing. If it is 50% the cost of a new insert I would definitely give it a hard look.

FWIW, our Alderlea was the first off the line and Tom's Oyen's shop ran it for a season in their showroom to learn about the stove. 10 seasons later and it's still running strong.

I called and got some more information and learned that the used unit is/was manufactured in October of 2005. Seems old to me. Is that irrelevant if in good condition? Or is that old enough to start lacking some of the qualities that make modern day stoves so great? $1300 blowers included. Black.

The floor model is new. And is $2500. Blower and nickel door included.

That sounds odd. Who was holding it for so long, the couple or the store? In 2005 this would be a Summit A and given its age not worth $1300. If in great condition I wouldn't pay over $1000. The price on the floor model is ok. Nickel door adds a couple hundred. The blower is standard.

I’m not sure. Seems odd to me too. If it is as lightly used as alleged, I’m guessing the previous owner let it sit in the home for quite some years. Then had the dealer remove it and the dealer found it in good enough condition to resell.

That said, I’m not sure I want to buy an insert used, that is of such an age. Even if under $1000. I could see buying something that met 2015 specs.

May give the floor model a looksy.

I don't know what pe's warranty is or what their policy on floor models is but that is really the only possible issue with the floor model

I don't know what pe's warranty is or what their policy on floor models is but that is really the only possible issue with the floor model

Makes sense. The more I think about it, $2500 probably is not that great a deal. $3000 gets a brand new one to the door plus shipping, of course. But if I ship to a pickup point and not to my door, shipping is very reasonable.

May just Ride it out one more year until I can justify buying new.

May depend on the dealer. My stove was sold with full warranty, though I have not needed it.

May depend on the dealer. My stove was sold with full warranty, though I have not needed it.
If that is the case I would do it for sure.

The 2005 is in the era of weld issues, and the original EBT system, I'd stay away from that one. $3,000.00 new usually does not include door price, and the nickel door is more expensive. Not really a bad price, and it will be either a B body or C body with the improved EBT system. All PE inserts come with blowers from the factory.

Reactions: Bushels20
The 2005 is in the era of weld issues, and the original EBT system, I'd stay away from that one. $3,000.00 new usually does not include door price, and the nickel door is more expensive. Not really a bad price, and it will be either a B body or C body with the improved EBT system. All PE inserts come with blowers from the factory.

Helpful. Thank you!

I'd be sure to check the back label of the floor model to confirm its manufacture date and Series (A, B, etc). Also have the dealer give you paperwork (or letter-like contract) certifying it's new & unused when you buy it so that the warranty clock doesn't start until it's in your hands.