Pre epa wood burning stove vs epa wood burning stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you have 2 acres, finding room for a few cords of storage should be do-able. The bigger challenge may be making access to/from said storage convenient. I'm on about 4 acres, and at times I've had as much as 30 cords CSS'd + 10+ cords in logs, all jammed into one little 1/8 acre corner of my yard. That does get crowded, difficult to even move the logs around, but it's do-able. Now I'm holding around 16 cords CSS'd + 15 cords in logs, in the same space around 1/8 acre, which feels downright roomy.

In laying it out, consider your path in (logs or rounds), FIFO storage for un-processed and processed wood, with space between these two areas for processing, and your path out for processed wood going to the house. I can measure and draw up my layout, if it helps, but your ideal setup will be different if you're using different equipment.

It really depends on the land. For example my 20ac's average slope is over 30% and most of it is thick forest. There's a few spots that are flat enough to make wood storage or processing possible, but they're not contiguous and some of them are occupied already.

I'd like to have a full FIFO storage for split wood but the best I can do is using IBC totes or 1 cord shed bays in FIFO order. I have not figured out a way to FIFO the log decks as they're on a landing I can only access from one end.

I'd like to see a drawing of your layout, there may be ideas I can use.

I'd like to have a full FIFO storage for split wood but the best I can do is using IBC totes or 1 cord shed bays in FIFO order. I have not figured out a way to FIFO the log decks as they're on a landing I can only access from one end.
My log storage is quasi-FIFO. I have a pile for each year of felling. The piles get used in sequence, but usage of the logs within each pile are somewhere between random and reverse-FIFO (FILO?). In other words, I just finished processing all the logs felled in 2020, but the last one processed from that year was probably the first log felled in January 2020, as it was at the bottom of the pile. I'll be processing stuff dropped in 2021, next.

I'd like to see a drawing of your layout, there may be ideas I can use.
Sure. I'll do up a quick sketch in the next day or two. In the middle of digging an irrigation trench, right now. :)

My log storage is quasi-FIFO. I have a pile for each year of felling. The piles get used in sequence, but usage of the logs within each pile are somewhere between random and reverse-FIFO (FILO?). In other words, I just finished processing all the logs felled in 2020, but the last one processed from that year was probably the first log felled in January 2020, as it was at the bottom of the pile. I'll be processing stuff dropped in 2021, next.

Sure. I'll do up a quick sketch in the next day or two. In the middle of digging an irrigation trench, right now. :)
This is best discussed and posted in the Wood Shed forum.

Reactions: Ashful
This is best discussed and posted in the Wood Shed forum.
You are right. Here we go:

Reactions: begreen