Precision felling cuts on bigger trees?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only other thing to remember is to check your surroundings and have a good escape route, free of obstacles.

wkpoor said:
we anchored 2 vehicles off it. One was full size van and the other was my 69 Impala. They were 90 degrees from each other so the van was the anchor point and the van was the puller. When the tree fell it snatched my car like a paper cup.
And that's when you started buying the tractors? :lol:

Exmasonite said:
Only other thing to remember is to check your surroundings and have a good escape route, free of obstacles.
Ya, I sometimes get a little lazy when clearing an escape route, and don't clear it out as well as I should. I'll do better.

Great thread guys. I have a ~30 inch beech tree I want to take down at my friends farm. Unfortunately it is dead and leaning the wrong way. I can drop it the way it is leaning but then we will have to drag it out a a ravine with a tractor. Threads like this are good for guys like me advancing our skill set.

MarkinNC said:
I can drop it the way it is leaning but then we will have to drag it out a a ravine with a tractor.
I've got some stuff like that too. I'm thinking "be safer, do a little extra work pulling it out of the ravine rather than trying to fight it." Besides, I don't have tractors and what-not, just an ATV. But it would be fun to mess around with winches, snatch blocks etc.
You know, a guy could go broke burning wood to save money. :lol:

MarkinNC said:
Great thread guys. I have a ~30 inch beech tree I want to take down at my friends farm. Unfortunately it is dead and leaning the wrong way. I can drop it the way it is leaning but then we will have to drag it out a a ravine with a tractor. Threads like this are good for guys like me advancing our skill set.
Thats sounds like a real Beech! heehe Guess it depends on how much its leaning and how deep the ravine is as what is to do. Those are usually case by case basis. I've been then done that many times. Thats what hyd winches and snatch blocks are for.

I have used rope and a come-along to help encourage the fall of some big trees. One was real close to the house and I got it to drop right where I wanted, my goal was to just miss my daughters play house. It landed perfect, and it was a rush. Also did another one when a big Oak died right after we built the house. I did not have as much experience then and probably should not have done it, but it landed as desired. Now I am dropping them pretty regular, I had to take out 7 to make room for a new barn that I am trying to start. Debating on the largest one yet because my wife is calling it fern gulley here. It is a shame to eliminate some big trees, but I would hate for them to elminate my house or barn. The Bobcat does also come in handy to give a final push when a tree needs a little help. I would never try to get a big tree to fall the opposite way of the natural lean. I also study the branches alot, more on one side etc. I heard a story of one guy that tied his Jeep to a tree to pull it and it fell the wrong way and pulled his Jeep up into the Y of tree. Be careful.

Woody Stover said:
MarkinNC said:
I can drop it the way it is leaning but then we will have to drag it out a a ravine with a tractor.
I've got some stuff like that too. I'm thinking "be safer, do a little extra work pulling it out of the ravine rather than trying to fight it." Besides, I don't have tractors and what-not, just an ATV. But it would be fun to mess around with winches, snatch blocks etc.
You know, a guy could go broke burning wood to save money. :lol:

It is becoming more about fun lately though I like to call it a way of life. With 2 chainsaws purchased in the last year along with other items, a snatch block and a throw line on the shopping list, I am saving a ton of money. Thankfully the other poster wrote just to drop it the way it is leaning and I think that is good safe advice. Sorry to take this thread off track, but this smaller beech I took last year is about 100 feet from the other one I am looking at. That splitter mounted on the tractor is so slow I could start the piece and take a picture of my (then) 3 year old splitting it. I rented a splitter last year once and my kids love running it.

Attachments

• oct2010 062.jpg
    oct2010 062.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 185
That splitter mounted on the tractor is so slow I could start the piece and take a picture of my (then) 3 year old splitting it. I rented a splitter last year once and my kids love running it.
Sounds like another tractor splitter running off the tractors hydraulics. Gives the process a bad name. I've devoted several posts lately to the benifits of tracotr splitters if you already own the tractor. It just takes the right setup with a PTO Powered Pump.

wkpoor said:
That splitter mounted on the tractor is so slow I could start the piece and take a picture of my (then) 3 year old splitting it. I rented a splitter last year once and my kids love running it.
Sounds like another tractor splitter running off the tractors hydraulics. Gives the process a bad name. I've devoted several posts lately to the benifits of tracotr splitters if you already own the tractor. It just takes the right setup with a PTO Powered Pump.

It is running off the tractor hydraulics and does needs it's own dedicated hydraulic pump. It's a homemade unit and I actually broke some welds on it the first day I used it. Those large rounds are not easy to get horizontal either. I think a vertical feature is important on any splitter, though I have decided not to get one until I have to.

When you have large rounds they are difficult scootin on the ground too. I can noodle up a large round into 4/6/9 pieces in less time than I can screw with rasclin a big round up to a splitter but it takes the right saw and chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.