Preference---Chainsaw Pants, Chaps, Kevlar Pads that go inside Jeans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suematteva

May 25, 2006
Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
Have started looking around for a pair of chaps/protective pants. What are peoples preference as far as comfort and protection?

Was looking and saw that you can buy chaps/pads that fit inside a pair of full cut jeans...Anybody have experience with these versus the full pants, or chaps basic, chaps with calf wrap around? Thanks Matt

Vintage 181 said:
Have started looking around for a pair of chaps/protective pants. What are peoples preference as far as comfort and protection?

Was looking and saw that you can buy chaps/pads that fit inside a pair of full cut jeans...Anybody have experience with these versus the full pants, or chaps basic, chaps with calf wrap around? Thanks Matt
Whats up brother man . I own the Husqvarna front apron chaps and the Husqvarna Proforest wrap chaps http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/?url=/node1540.asp?frames=false ( pro forestwrap chaps is the full wrap around the leg style ) I havent heard of the pads you put into your jeans . Husqvarna / Stihl are good name brands . I use the front chaps for around the yard , odd stuff here and there , a small tree or two . I use the pro forest chaps when i am getting serious and cutting / felling full trees , cutting all day and the rest of the big boy stuff . Ebay always has good prices , you can check your local Husqvarna and or Stihl dealer for chaps . Somebody mentioned Lowes box store has Husqvarna chaps . Baileys also has good chaps .
http://tinyurl.com/kabtt

I use the Husky front chaps. I can't imagine inserts in my jeans. When it gets hot out there cutting, and you will get hot even in winter, I can't imagine taking my pants off to cool off. And as to the full pant chaps, most of the time I plan to keep the saw in front of me. May not happen but that is the plan.

BrotherBart said:
I use the Husky front chaps. I can't imagine inserts in my jeans. When it gets hot out there cutting, and you will get hot even in winter, I can't imagine taking my pants off to cool off. And as to the full pant chaps, most of the time I plan to keep the saw in front of me. May not happen but that is the plan.
I use the Pro forest wrap chaps when cutting wood all day because normally out in the woods you can run across a lot of brush and the pro forest chaps dont seem to get snaged on brush as bad . There are more belt snaps on the pro forest wrap chaps too .

I have not been happy with the Stihl chaps. For some reason (I am built normally) they turn outward on me.
I have not done any cutting this summer, but they get wicked hot.

Inserts are a good choice in cooler weather. After a short while, you forget you have them on.

I do most of my cutting in the summer, however, so I wear regular chaps. My only complaint is that my high-heeled logging boots tend to catch on the straps, creating (yet another) tripping hazard. Nothing's perfect however--you just have to learn to work around the weak links in your set-up.

Of all the dangers you face when working in the woods, I'd have to say that falling down is one of the biggest. The first thing the professional trainers teach you is to engage the chain brake before walking with the saw. Like wearing seat belts, engaging the brake at the right times is a matter of developing good work habits. Taking a rotating chain out of the trip-hazard equation makes it a much more mundane danger. You might get shish-kabobed or break a leg or poke out your eye when you fall, but at least you won't be getting intimate with the business end of a chain saw.

Eric Johnson said:
Inserts are a good choice in cooler weather. After a short while, you forget you have them on.

I do most of my cutting in the summer, however, so I wear regular chaps. My only complaint is that my high-heeled logging boots tend to catch on the straps, creating (yet another) tripping hazard. Nothing's perfect however--you just have to learn to work around the weak links in your set-up.

Catching the straps of the chaps with your boots is something i haven't heard of? Are the straps too long ? , too much tail of the straps hanging down ? Normally the straps are at mid leg / to of the boot area.
Of all the dangers you face when working in the woods, I'd have to say that falling down is one of the biggest. The first thing the professional trainers teach you is to engage the chain brake before walking with the saw. Like wearing seat belts, engaging the brake at the right times is a matter of developing good work habits. Taking a rotating chain out of the trip-hazard equation makes it a much more mundane danger. You might get shish-kabobed or break a leg or poke out your eye when you fall, but at least you won't be getting intimate with the business end of a chain saw
Good information to point out about the chain break Eric and tripping hazards . Another good point of information is when you carry your chainsaw its good practice to carry your chainsaw in your left hand with the bar and chain facing backwards . I always tell anybody working with me to "stay away from the left side of anybody using a chainsaw" When using a chainsaw normally one will turn the chainsaw to the left with the bar behind them in there left hand and using the right hand to adjust wood and such .

Roo:

"I always tell anybody working with me to “stay away from the left side of anybody using a chainsaw” When using a chainsaw normally one will turn the chainsaw to the left with the bar behind them in there left hand and using the right hand to adjust wood and such ."

Yeah. Poulan/Pioneer/Partner designed Ole Yaller with a built in training aid for that. They put the hot muffler on the right side of the saw. You have no problem remembering once you try carrying it on the right with the bar facing rearward and touch your leg just one time.

What happens occasionally is that the heel will catch on the top strap when I lift my leg up high in the process of moving forward, usually to step over some obstacle. Typically, I'm holding the saw out in front of me with both hands, so there's not much to do if I fall but try to keep the saw away from my body. I should add that the chain is usually not moving when this happens, but it's not a good circumstance to find yourself in. A pair of boots with a lower-profile sole would probably solve the problem.

Thank you all..

Labonville.com has the pants summer and winter...Eric turned me on to them when he mentioned Labonville boots(they have kevlar in them I had never heard of them prior)..Googled them and found their site..Pisses me off, can't tell you how many times I used to drive right by factory store there and didn't stop...next time.. Also swedepro has some stuff that looks practical and well fitting..Am checking into a Canadian company that may have similar stuff to Swedepro but less dough..Madsens1.com also has the inserts..If you go to madsens site check the photo album section...Roos..am sure you will enjoy this..muffler man...

Status
Not open for further replies.