Prep needed for Mill Pac black?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
The chimney installer gave me a tube of this sealant in case I ever needed it for my stove. What would I need to do to prep the joints of the stove before I use it ( I figure that on a 17 year old stove it wouldnt hurt)

Unless there are specific instructions on the container, just make sure all mating surfaces are clean & free of any build up, including dust. If there are any adhesives already on them, scrape & sand smooth & then wipe with a damp rag. Let them air dry & you should be good to go

Reactions: Heatsource
Yep, damp wet cloth before applying works great. Mill-pac is some good stuff, your installer should be pretty good if he is using it.
Well, the installer was a nice guy and did a great job he vacuumed everything up and even the inside of my stove, he even wiped my wood floor with a damp towel after the install and gave me a stainless steel trim piece for the outside part of the wall thimble for free, (he originally asked me if i wanted it but because it was an extra 65.00, i said no thanks) because he said he couldnt just have it look different than the chimney pipe, so he just put it on. He said that i should think about resealing the stove and that he had the tube, but it was a 20.00 tube and didnt want to charge me after all the money i had already spent . I was happy with the install. He did more than he had to and didnt cut any corners. All the pipe sections were sealed tested for plumb, and the 3 screws were meticulously put in the same exact places on every section of pipe. Now i just have to wait for my city to mail me the permit, and then i can schedule a inspection.

Another question...( yeah i know it is 2:28am here but i cant sleep) can i apply mill-pac and just let it sit or do i have to fire up the stove for it to cure? I know it cures with heat, but i would like to have a test burn this weekend and i need to put it in , and put all the internals in the stove after. I figure with the internals put i have better access to the seams etc... And i need time to figure out where all these pieces go. I have a manual, but it isnt very clear on the placement of the parts. I wish the guy i bought it from hadnt taken the pieces out before i got there.

I have no idea on the mil pac, but it sounds like an installer that could use a referral when the opportunity arises.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.