Preparing for season 11 with the E100 Wood Gun.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
Hello. How’s everyone in the boiler room? Hope all is well with you and yours.

Time to get ready to start season 11 with the E100! Time flies when your having fun. Firewood ready here. I will probably move it under cover in the middle of October. I have 3+ face cord left over from last year’s mild winter that I will start this season off with.

Need to replace the seals on the front doors of the Wood Gun. Anyone that has done this that could pass along helpful tips. They would be appreciated.

I finally had time to install the new door seal kit from AHS. Getting the old one out and thoroughly cleaning the door with a few hand tools and a wire brush on the drill took a while.

I then installed the new air diverter. Newer item Alternate Heating Systems (AHS) makes to prevent huffing and puffing. Large intake pipe on back slides tightly into the air intake at the back. 4 Holes along the bottom down the left hand side of boiler. 4 Holes along the top as well. Three have plugs you can take out or leave in depending on moisture content. The higher the moisture content take more plugs out.

I have to wait a couple days for the high temperature sealant to cure. Then I’ll see how it works.

Many of you burning yet?

24466850-84EA-4CA8-BD00-07AC42766853.jpeg A076516B-39CE-49A7-A027-F08471D0776B.jpeg 28D484D2-6C50-4E4F-91DF-DA71CA41C29A.jpeg

For the other Wood Gun owners who don’t know about the air diverter. They make several sizes. Suppose to increase efficiency as well. We will see how it works soon.

I'm going to put off fire lighting for as long as everyone else in this place can stand it. Load will be a little higher this winter as our 2 boys graduated from University and promptly moved back home to work and pay off debt. Nice to have them around again most of the time, but I was hoping end of school days would bring a bigger expense drop than it did. And I didnt put more wood in to try to make up for the extra heating load. So we'll see how it goes.

For the other Wood Gun owners who don’t know about the air diverter. They make several sizes. Suppose to increase efficiency as well. We will see how it works soon.

Interesting...seems pricey for what it is...probably time consuming to make though...and probably relatively low volume.
Load will be a little higher this winter as our 2 boys graduated from University and promptly moved back home And I didnt put more wood in to try to make up for the extra heating load. So we'll see how it goes.
So how does having them around create extra heat load? Heating a formerly unheated part of the house? Sounds like "firewood help" to me... ::-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
It is pricey! I hated to spend that kind of money on it. But I’m hoping it will be worth it.

This is what AHS says about it:

Say goodbye to back-puffing on the Wood Gun! This stainless steel air diverter tube mounts inside the firebox with ease. It was engineered to fix back-puffing, create a more efficient burn, while using minimal fire box area.

it greatly prolongs the life of the air valve disc in the air valve, it preheats the combustion air for better efficiency, eliminates wood bridging in the firebox, and allows the wood to burn more evenly in the fire box

We shall soon see.

Make that five holes along the bottom and four along the top. LOL

it preheats the combustion air for better efficiency, eliminates wood bridging in the firebox, and allows the wood to burn more evenly in the fire box

We shall soon see.
I bet it helps!

Interesting...seems pricey for what it is...probably time consuming to make though...and probably relatively low volume.

So how does having them around create extra heat load? Heating a formerly unheated part of the house? Sounds like "firewood help" to me... ::-)
Yes, the zone their bedrooms are in had been turned down a lot the last few winters. Won't get away with that this one.

Firewood help, uh yeah. Like pulling teeth. Their main distraction aside from working is now golf. Still good to have them here and glad to supply them a roof to help them pay their loans down - but still hoping they move out some day. In all reality it won't amount to a lot of extra wood. Hopefully less than a cord.

pay their loans down
That's important...get them things knocked out...pretty bad when many peoples college loans last longer than their 1st marriage! !!!

Gone to full wood heat as of Friday night. Appears to be working nicely!

Reactions: brenndatomu
I will follow this closely as I really would like to put an end to the puffing. It doesn't happen often, but it's a PITA when it does.

I still get some occasional puffing. But it is less. I believe I need to make some adjustments with my air intake now. And maybe not burn wood that is TOO dry. My White Pine gets that way after I have stacked it outside for a long while. I have to be careful not to put too much of it in. Mix less in with better hardwood.

I still get some occasional puffing. But it is less. I believe I need to make some adjustments with my air intake now. And maybe not burn wood that is TOO dry. My White Pine gets that way after I have stacked it outside for a long while. I have to be careful not to put too much of it in. Mix less in with better hardwood.
Sounds right...I know the newer O2 sensor boilers that have full control of the primary and secondary air still have to have the programming tweaked to burn super dry wood, especially pine...and they often say to limit that to 10-15%(20?) of the load overall...so you on the right track.

Reactions: Gasifier
I recently had to replace the thermostat in my Danfoss ESBY return valve. With that taking about three weeks to get, I went through some oil. D’Oh! But I replaced it last week and everything is up and running great again. We are getting some real cold with -11 and wind this morning. Looks like the colder temperatures are going to stick around for a while now. Cruising through some firewood now!

I think I’ll order another one so I have it on hand the next time.

Last edited:
So, how's the air diverter working for you? I had some puffing in past years but have started to split the wood larger and that has helped with the puffing but they tend to bridge more poften than the smaller splits. I'm debating on the diverter.

So, how's the air diverter working for you? I had some puffing in past years but have started to split the wood larger and that has helped with the puffing but they tend to bridge more poften than the smaller splits. I'm debating on the diverter.
It has not totally eliminated the huffing and puffing. But it has reduced it. What continues is not much, and manageable. I’m going to try removing the last plug and see how that helps. I also believe that my White Pine firewood is too dry, for what this burner likes. That causes what remains. But, I like burning dry wood. Keeps the creosote away. I don’t get the huffing if I’m only burning good quality hardwood though. I also am going to experiment with a few other things. Split size. Air intake. Etc

I am very glad I finally put a steel door on my boiler room a while back. Then installed a gravity wall vent at the high corner of the room with a 1” filter in it. This allows the heat to still go out of the boiler room, up the stairs to living room, and eventually up the stairs to bedrooms. But now all air coming out gets filtered. Very nice.

This is the Danfoss ESBY return valve. I had to pull the thermostat out of it(seems I lost the picture of it) and put a new one in. This gasket maker help seal it up nice where the old one had deteriorated. I used a wire wheel on a drill to clean up surfaces and then put this on. The system has worked great ever since. With many days in the -20s and one at -33, I’m glad I’m not burning oil!

FDAB0D55-CF1E-4018-BB4F-2BF9F77CD0C9.jpeg FEF06210-71C7-4638-A8A2-9EB3DDA35265.jpeg 92374E8D-C125-4FCD-B7D9-F1BE19F9F7E6.png 6A39EB7A-F23F-442B-A034-549AB849A971.png

Here is a shot of it from the supplier….79877BEE-9810-41B5-AAAE-827973570A3C.png