(Probably) silly question regarding Sirocco vs. Chinook design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northof49th

Aug 11, 2023
Alberta
I've narrowed down my choice for a wood stove between the Sirocco 30 or Chinook 30. I actually prefer the look of the Chinook, so here is my dumb question: Since my stove will be placed in a corner surrounded by brick, will I lose some radiant heat going with the Chinook due to the extra piece of curved steel on the sides? I'm assuming the air being blown out of the Chinook will be hotter than the Sirocco..I know I'm over thinking this as I probably wouldn't feel the difference..lol

Both models are 76% efficient per the EPA database. You won't lose any heat. Anything "lost" from becoming radiant heat will be gained as convective heat.

All stoves produce a mixture of radiant and convective heat, it's not either/or.

Since your stove is surrounded by brick I would expect you to be best served by a more convective stove design but really, not a big difference here.

See, I would have figured the opposite since radiant heat would better warm the surrounding brick. But this is probably splitting hairs here..With close clearances with a BK, I doubt I would notice a difference with either stove.