problem with smoke coming into the room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

treborfrodsrem

Feb 24, 2021
Herndon, Va.
I hope I am in the right forum. I have a Kent tile wood stove. For some reason for the last month or two when ever I open the door to add wood smoke comes into the room. Also the glass is getting dirty. Never had these problems in the past. We did have the chimney cleaned before we started this year and again cleaned last week-to make sure there was no issues with the chimney. I am hoping that someone might have some suggestions on how to solve this issue.

Try opening a window and making sure any exhaust fans are off (laundry, bathroom fans etc.).

I’d also recommend just not opening the door. Reload on hot coals that should be well past the smoking stage. If you are starting from cold add the full load then enough kindling on the top / front to get it going well so you can keep the door closed.

Thank you for your reply. The only thing we have not tried is to open an window. We keep the door closed while the wood is burning. So you have to open the door to add the wood. Once you add the wood we leave the door open a little to make sure it catches fire, however if it starts to smoke before catching fire the smoke will come into the room. Also, I wonder because we have noticed the glass turning dark the wood we are burning have been seasoned for at least a year. We have not had this problem in years past.

Has the wood been stacked in your yard for a year or did you purchase it seasoned? Purchased wood is rarely ever ready to be burn. Try taking a moisture reading with a fresh split piece.

Next time when reloading out a lot of little kindling on top of the coals that will catch fast and have an active flame. You could also try lighting a fire starter with a match. The goal would be that there is always a flame once you close the door. I never leave my door cracked during reload if there is an active flame. I may see a little smoke inside the stove but clears up after a minute or so when the flame spreads.

Last edited:
YEs the wood has been stacked in my yard for at least a year, some of the wood it has been stacked in my yard for two years. Prior to having the issue with smoke I would always add wood and then shut the door. However since we have had the issue with smoke coming we are trying just about anything.

How are you measuring the moisture on your splits? Sub 10% is highly unlikely just being dried naturally in the yard. That's kiln dried level.

You need to take a piece inside, let it get to run temp, split it, and measure the freshly split face. Make sure the prongs are parallel to the grain not perpendicular.

If the wood is sub 10% I'll eat my hat. Just give me a bottle of French dressing...that makes anything edible lol.

I have removed the pipe and have cleaned our using a vacuum. However, I do not think that got everyting, I can not see beyond the opening. However, I have put my finger through the hole in the front of the stove and I could feel ash.
Any suggestions on how to get to that?

Currently, I wasnt to tnak everybody for their input I think It is the ashe around the baffle. Now I just have to figure out how to make sure I get it all. I think this is the first time in about 10 years that this has been addressed.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
Different question, after the chimney was cleaned, when we start a fire we have smoke coming out from the top 90 degree bend (where the pipe goes out of the house) is it possible that the problem with the baffle be causing this problem also?

Did the connector pipe get pulled from the chimney/thimble to clean the horizontal segment during your last sweep? Sounds like it may have buildup causing your backup. Worth a look.

As for measure the moisture I use a General model MMD4e
Are you testing the moisture by bringing the wood up to room temperature, then splitting it in half and testing with the probes firmly pressed into the freshly exposed face of wood in the center of the split? Testing wood on the outside or on the end grain will give misleading results.

Like I said before, I do not split the wood again before burning it. I do bring the wood in side before checking. Now I must admit I do not check every piece of wood, I also know that all the wood is dried.

Like I said before, I do not split the wood again before burning it. I do bring the wood in side before checking. Now I must admit I do not check every piece of wood, I also know that all the wood is dried.
It must be tested on a freshly exposed face of wood. If not split open, the core moisture content of the wood is not testable.

Different question, after the chimney was cleaned, when we start a fire we have smoke coming out from the top 90 degree bend (where the pipe goes out of the house) is it possible that the problem with the baffle be causing this problem also?
YES. I've used a lot of different configurations of pipe, tubing and fittings to get shop vac suction to where I need it.
Looks like a 3/4" CPVC elbow and a couple of feet of pipe will get you there.
As Gunny Highway said "Improvise! Adapt! Overcome!"