Problems with top auger working then stops

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aheathbar

Jan 22, 2011
central Ny
I have an englander stove model 55-shp10L , I have had it for 3 years and just last week started acting funny. The top auger will work for a complete rotation and then stop for almost 5 minutes and then start turning and then do the same thing so the fire will die down then build back up then die down. After I stop the and turn the stove completely off and then back on it works okay and then stops. Is this a card problem or heat sensor problem?

moved to pellet forum

aheathbar said:
I have an englander stove model 55-shp10L , I have had it for 3 years and just last week started acting funny. The top auger will work for a complete rotation and then stop for almost 5 minutes and then start turning and then do the same thing so the fire will die down then build back up then die down. After I stop the and turn the stove completely off and then back on it works okay and then stops. Is this a card problem or heat sensor problem?

Is the auger motor still turning?

Sometimes the motor becomes detached from the auger and doesn't always move the auger. Make certain the auger is firmly attached to the motor shaft.

If it is already firmly attached I'd look for something jamming the auger.

If it is not jammed it is time to order a replacement auger motor.

ETA: There are some other things as well let us know about things after you get to the jam checking stage.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Is the auger motor still turning?

Sometimes the motor becomes detached from the auger and doesn't always move the auger. Make certain the auger is firmly attached to the motor shaft......

I agree this where you should check first. I'd remove the auger motor from the stove completely (after unplugging the stove!) and see if the auger shaft is gouged.....the motor could be making 1 complete revolution in about 5 minutes, and the set screw just "catching" the edge of the flat spot on the auger shaft because it's loose.

aheathbar said:
I have checked the auger motor to the shaft. I tighten the set screws etc. The motor itself stops turning.

Ok, it is time to check the vacuum switch. This may be bypassed.

BTW before doing that are you getting any error codes out of the stove?

I just bought an shp10. We owned one before and loved it but sold and moved. The top auger stops. I took it apart and cleaned it out and reinstalled it making sure it was aligned and it just stopped again. The motor has some nice pressure. Could it be the pellets?? We never had this problem with our first one although we always burned the samepellets...and can't get them in our new are.

Also. does not light good. The old one lit like a champ. It seems like the ignitor is further back. I took it out and it is not adjustable. I actually have to stick a pellet into the hole to get it to light. Wife's not going to be too happy about that! Luckily it has a 90 day return policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.