Processing A Standing Oak Covered In English Ivy, Worth The Effort?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Tree is coming down next week via my awesome tree guy, before the new roof goes on in Sept- Oct . Obviously, I don't want it crashing down on a new roof ;)

My question is, will the ivy hinder processing, or as it sits, will it die off (I expect to deal with lingering vines in the bark) ? I've processed a lot of trees, but this is a first. It will be cut into 18" - 16" rounds, and probably sit until Nov - Dec at least.

Or, do I just toss it in the lower back 40, and let it rot???

IMG_0917.jpg

There likely will be good solid wood under the ivy. I would kill that off now, by severing all vines at the base.

There likely will be good solid wood under the ivy. I would kill that off now, by severing all vines at the base.
Thank you, BG. That was the direction I wanted to go in :)

cut it.. 5he Ivy will die off.. if it were me.. id take it.. whit oaks a really good wood

Yes, it is.

I've got an acre of these "antique oaks", they were big when I was 9, 50+ years later, they are still big. ;)

I've had trees with so much ivy the squirrels were living in it. If it's oak it's great wood. The ivy will be a pain to strip off of it but worth it. Be careful where you drop any of the ivy as it will take root easily. It will take a couple of years to season after split.

Reactions: Dix
I've had trees with so much ivy the squirrels were living in it. If it's oak it's great wood. The ivy will be a pain to strip off of it but worth it. Be careful where you drop any of the ivy as it will take root easily. It will take a couple of years to season after split.
It is oak, and I know it will take some time. As for the ivy, it is one of my biggest regrets to ever planting here :mad: <insert Brother Barts fav emoji here>. Live & learn.

I'm far enough ahead, that I can wait for it to be ready.

I'm averaging one of these oaks a year, and maple trees are sprouting all over to take their place.

Talked to me next door neighbor today, he will split. My splitter, I buy the gas, and we split it 40/60 (40 for me). Works for me.

Hmm, white oak... season it in barrel shape with whiskey inside of it! In a couple years it'll be ready to drink! Some day it'll be ready to burn too!

• Haha
you can run the chainsaw across the ivy after it's down and it will shave off a good amount of it. It's easiest to do that on the full downed trunk before u cut your 16" or 18" lengths.

It's down, now the fun begins ;)

IMG_0939.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P
That tree looked a lot bigger standing up vs laying down! That ivy added some girth!

When is the Dix brand famous Long Island Whiskey tasting party?

I have found white oak to be easy to split. Great firewood.

That tree looked a lot bigger standing up vs laying down! That ivy added some girth!

When is the Dix brand famous Long Island Whiskey tasting party?

I'll get some pics of the trunk & branches, it's actually a decent haul.

And, they took down my oldest Mimosa tree *sniffles*, I grew it from a pup 30 years ago. With the hurricanes a brewing, it was time, the whole trunk was cracked o_O

IMG_0925.jpg
IMG_0927.jpg
IMG_0929.jpg

The white oak is definitely worth processing even with the Ivy. Heck, I delt with poison ivy on white oak, but had to wait few years for the ivy to die and dry out, then process the wood. Had to make sure the oils were gone before handling. Worth the wait, IMO.