programmable thermostats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
looking for a recommendation for a cheap thermostat that i could program to run my furnace fans periodically (no heat, just the fans). the reason is that we have the fireplace on the main floor and a basement below. we've experimented with just running the recirc fans to get warm air into the basement and it seems to work well enough. however, we don't need to run them 100% of the time, so i'd like to find something that i could program to run, say 10 minutes every 30 minutes.

you probably won't find something cheap that will allow you to do something that often.... maybe you could figure out a way to use a 30 minute timer and a switch?

My Ecobee Si can do just this....I program a minimum fan runtime per hour, so it will do this when there are no other calls for heat. I think the newer ecobees will do this too, the ecobee3 is the cheapest....$150 refurbs on amazon.

You could shop fleabay for a used Ecobee Si, or get a used/refurb to take the price down a bit. A quick search looked like $80 and up.