Progress for the new guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
You guys have a great help. Who would have thought there was so much to learn. From buying my first insert (too small), learning how to burn, scrounging for wood, wood ID, splitting, stacking. It has been a busy year!

I have been collecting/scrounging wood since I ran out this winter and had to pay for a cord for the first time in my life. Was hoping to gather enough to rent a splitter but purchased one instead.

Spent a couple hours today and Made some progress on the pile.

40a43749a523bd4aae7d5e76fd202a9e.jpg

112945c40511772b07cbb4e438181317.jpg

Had a lot of this and I am not sure what it is. Some of the centers were loaded with carpenter ants but 90% of the wood was solid.
ec166164474d322102e0b64469c8843c.jpg

Have a bunch to do still
24657cdc9579ed638e3f004ec503c1c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great progress. The learning never stops.

Nice move on buying a splitter, that way you can use it when you want and not have to worry about taking it back. What size did you get?

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Nice move on buying a splitter, that way you can use it when you want and not have to worry about taking it back. What size did you get?

That was the the reasoning behind it. With the kids, sports and other hobbies, I don’t have a full day to dedicate to it. Plus I want to enjoy it for many years without dreading the all day split & Stack.

Picked up the Countyline 25 tin, so far so good.

Any idea what the reddish / pinkish wood is? It was pretty solid
072e189e31483a6318d34fbb7b6b2636.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Thanks Kevin,

Just looking through my pics, I am pretty sure that this is the pic of those rounds that split into what you see above. The cedar that I have found and is around me does not appear to be perfectly round and is shaggy sans bark.

Not the best pick but IIRC this is what I was splitting
c1947f85c4d2a91c06b11bca3217848a.jpg

Lots of Cedar around me but never thought about burning it or any pine for that matter. But this forum has changed my thoughts on that. So Cedar, Pine will be in my inventory now. Kevin