Progress gasket question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
Ordered a bunch of gaskets from Woodstock, to my relief, much of the old gaskets were cemented only at the connection ends from the factory. On the door gasket the replacement was black - is this for aesthetics? - and the replacement had an additional 8 inch flat gasket with a sticky back. I called Woodstock and they had no instructions as to where it goes. But they were going to send me a pic, which hasn't happened yet. Just thought I'd ask here for those who may have run into this.

Last edited:
I can't picture a gasket that short in the Progress. I watched when my stove was rebuilt and I don't remember a gasket that short. The only thing I can think is there was an extra sealing gasket they used to put on the right side of the door opening to help with smoke smell but it was longer than 8".

When you called Woodstock - why didn't they just tell you on the phone where the gasket goes instead of having to wait for pictures?

Well, the person said it was hard to describe on the phone. I'm scratching my head, but I have a plan that I will post later.