Progress hybrid owners......need your opinion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Progress hybrid owners.....I have a question for you....should I order the Progress Hybrid stove with or without the ashpan? Any thoughts or opinions are really appreciated! Thanks

Absolutely get the ash pan it's a great ash pan and it eliminates the cat clogging problem some have, a minor annoyance but why do it if you don't have to.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Well, I'm not a PH owner but I've had a couple of Woodstock stoves...
I've said it before and I'll say it again; A grated ash pan is the best option you can have, after a window. If you multiply the amount of foolin' around and mess it will save you, over the life of the stove, it's a no-brainer. I don't think you will find anyone who has had a grate, then can have that option on a new stove they want, that would ever go back to shoveling 'em out. <> Especially with the superb systems that the Woodstocks have.
No shoving the coals back and forth in the box (unless you let the stove go cold,) so you can try to get mostly ash and leave the coals (which you can never quite do.) No trying to hold the receptacle, which is now getting hot from the coals in it, close under the door so that all the floating ash dust gets sucked back into the stove (which it never does.) No having to immediately go outside with a hot container, as the heat starts to burn you through your gloves. With a pan, just pull it, take it out and dump it right before a re-load, when the pan is fairly cool. I think you can go a week or more on the PH before the pan starts getting full. To get the ash out of the box and make more room before a regular re-load, just run the poker through the coal and ash, stopping when you get to the desired amount of ash bed you want to leave on the floor of the stove (maybe an inch or two.)
If you go ahead and order it, you can always shovel 'em out later, if you decide you'd enjoy that more. ;lol

Get the ashpan... makes cleaning the stove a breeze.

Woodstock is genius at design, the ashpan is an example of this expertise

My PH was originally installed in place of a Fireview. To match the flue exit height of the Fireview I had to order the short legs and no ash pan. With this set up the cat would clog in 3 weeks of use. I moved the stove to a new house and was able to install the standard height legs and the ash pan. Now the cat stays cleaner, (I clean it half way through the burning season and again at the end vs every three weeks). The fact that the ashpan is a great design and greatly reduces ash dust in the room is a bonus. I purchased an extra removable pan to make swaps quick and easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: weatherguy
Absolutely get the ash pan!!!!!!!

"I think you can go a week or more on the PH before the pan starts getting full"

That's what I do.. and I heat my house full time with the PH

it's a great ash pan and it eliminates the cat clogging problem some have
I guess with the sled setup, ash is going past the cat. On my former Fireview, shovlin' ash went to the bypass, and away from the screen/cat.

I generally have to rake the ash/coals to get all the ash into the pan

Attachments

• Progress hybrid owners......need your opinion
    43632-198741e311a5c0ccab6db9a24718dbe2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: Woody Stover
I generally have to rake the ash/coals to get all the ash into the pan
I only have 1.5 cu.ft. but I still like to leave 1.5" of ash in the bottom.