Project Sunroof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Reactions: vinny11950
"Sorry, Project Sunroof hasn't reached that address yet." (for either of my two properties)

In the meantime, I'll rely on my PV array to tell me how much sun I get.

Thanks, Matt.

I tried it and because of the surrounding tree cover, I don't save much over 20 years. But my neighbor who doesn't have as many trees around, his savings almost double.

If you have the size of your roof and which way its facing, all you need is PV Watts and you can figure it out pretty quick. Just realize that unless you have a site survey, its very difficult to come up with derate factor for shading.

Last edited:
A tool used by solar designers and called a Solar Pathfinder does a good job at assessing solar potential and impact of shading.

Status
Not open for further replies.