Propane and Heating Oil Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am in MA and just paid $4.11 a gallon plus I rent my tank for $100 a year. I don't believe those prices. I called all the companies who deliver in my area and they are about the same.
:eek: and I thought our prices are bad.

$4.11 sounds completely nuts. I don't own my tank and I paid $1.34 in October. The most I ever paid was $3.09 when oil was at its peak price two years ago. You need to look into buying that tank outright, even the $100/yr sounds crazy. My "rental" is included in the prices above. Shop around.

TE

We've been at 1.49 or 1.59 per gallon for at least two years now. That's the price for me to fill up portable tanks. No bulk discount but no delivery either.

Lpg is a bit of a racket. One mile down the road it costs 3$ per gallon.

:eek: My rich neighbors reported paying $5/gall for propane a couple years ago. :eek:

Some on here may have seen me post this elsewhere on the site recently..... I paid a price of $0.75 a gallon last August and it's a price I thought I'd never see. To be fair I should state that the going price was $0.80 a gallon for leased tanks but I own my tank so it's a bit less. Up here in northern Wisconsin they have been installing more tanks since the LP crisis a few years ago and maybe that has effected the price along with low oil prices, and the fact that my price was a summer price.

PS, I just looked at my LP bills for the two summers previous. 2014 LP was $0.94 a gallon and 2015 it was the same. It did spike that one winter during the big shortage but I had already filled during that summer and then I burnt those reserves and wood all winter long so it never effected me.

Last edited:
Same thing in the Seattle area. Suburban Propane has a stranglehold on the market. Locally it still goes for over $3/gal. while 60 miles north it is just above a dollar a gallon through Cenex.
So they are gouging just because they can? That's nuts but more incentive to find a way around them. Unfortunately not everyone has the wherewithal or resources to do so...

A 60 mile trip to fill a couple propane bottles doesn't make economic sense. And they don't make fill hose that long for the big tanks so it is what it is, and they know it.

A 60 mile trip to fill a couple propane bottles doesn't make economic sense. And they don't make fill hose that long for the big tanks so it is what it is, and they know it.
It sounds like there could be a business opportunity for someone to give them competition and lower the prices but still make it a successful business. A terminal doesn't take many to run either. The place I get LP has the clerk and two drivers and trucks. It'd be interesting to know the wholesale cost of LP in the area if they are getting $3.00 a gallon.

I am in MA and just paid $4.11 a gallon plus I rent my tank for $100 a year. I don't believe those prices. I called all the companies who deliver in my area and they are about the same.

Believe it. The Northeast gets screwed on all things energy. I have a stable of 5 100lb tanks, thats about 125 gals total. I bring them to tractor supply 2 at a time for refill. $2.59 at the moment. They are cheaper than the gas company across the street from them by a little more than a $1.

It sounds like there could be a business opportunity for someone to give them competition and lower the prices but still make it a successful business. A terminal doesn't take many to run either. The place I get LP has the clerk and two drivers and trucks. It'd be interesting to know the wholesale cost of LP in the area if they are getting $3.00 a gallon.
Suburban Propane has an ad out for a $1.29 fillup for new customer signup. My guess is that is pretty close to their wholesale price + driver time.

We just had our propane tank filled on Friday. $1.349/gallon. bb3571fd1d58966c4de2115b8c224801.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I filled up in October for $0.959/gal.

We were locked in for a number of years to a ripoff company. Unfortunately, if you didn't have the money to purchase a tank, you paid what they were charging. The other part of the story for us, we use under 500 gallons a year ( actually it takes over 3 years to use 400 gallons) so other companies wouldn't take us. I remember the last fill from the ripoff conpany, it was over $3.00 a gallon and I negotiated to get it to 2.99. If we could've switched at that time, it was 1.69 with another company. It's all a game, if they can take advantage of you, they will. I believe when there was a shortage, ripoff was approaching 6.00 a gallon while others were half. Since we own our tank now, no more fees and no more games, and prices are much lower. I hated propane before we split from a contract.

Was it AmeriGas by chance? My GF was gouged by them before I was around. Once I figured it out we called them out on it and they issued her a refund of what we could prove.

Just need to find a company not willing to play those games. We now use a small local company and use their 500gal tank. No tank fees (except they do charge $0.05 more per gallon if you don't own your own tank), no minimum use charge and no other hidden BS charges. You pay whatever their rate is per gallon, that's it. This past fall we paid $0.959/gal to top off the tank. We used 135 gallons over almost 13 months, but we also have an LP clothes drier and water heater in addition to the LP furnace. This year we will probably be using more, as we have been away from home more where the furnace has had to run. :-(

Last edited:
Right now the residential price for a 200+ gallon fill up here is $0.89 a gallon so the price is up! Lol

Wrong! I got this price from someone in town but he was throwing out a bunch of different prices for LP and I thought it was too low for a winter price on propane so I called my supplier today and the price is $1.149 up here in NW Wisconsin. I stand corrected!

Paid 1.39 a gallon back in February and the tank is still over 3/4 full. I live about 2 miles from the port in New Haven, CT which is one of the biggest entry ports for heating oil in New England. Heating oil is usually quite cheap around here as they don't have to transport it far.

I really don't use much oil but its there for when I am away or on vacation and those really cold nights.

A gallon of heating oil does pack some serious BTU's at 138,690 per gallon compared to propane's 91,333 a gallon. I'm guessing the price I paid back in Feb was similar or better than the .99 a gallon propane prices reported here when factoring in BTU's.

The other nice thing with heating oil. Especially if you don't use much is you can top the tank when prices are low and there is a ton of competition around here with suppliers.

20160227_061331.jpg

Last edited:
A couple a years ago, propane in our area went to $5-6 dollars during a cold snap and shortage of propane. To top that off, propane deliveries were limited to 150 gallons every two weeks. Friends of ours, who couldn't afford to pre-buy were stuck paying market prices. Right now propane is cheap, but all it takes is a cold snap or some other SNAFU to make the prices jump. We just hooked up to natural gas after it was run down our road. My last bill was $62, of that $50 is for hot water. We were on vacation for a week and our 20 year old daughter was in charge of the stove, that accounts for the $12

Those prices are about a dollar more a gallon than here in CT. Does NY tax heating oil? They surprisingly don't tax it here in CT. Current prices are around $1.75-$2.00 a gallon here.

No tax on any fuel for home heating.
But they better not catch you using heating oil in your tractor or truck.