Propane Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crizpynutz

Mar 26, 2015
Northern CT
Hey all, I'm a member here mostly for the pellet forum as a pellet stove owner, however I am researching something else lately I thought people here may be able to help with. I am in New England and currently have oil heat (baseboard.) My boiler is on it's last leg and I need to decide what I am going to do. I do have a pellet stove as you can tell, but I need a supplemental, or 2nd heating source. I would have preferred natural gas, but currently that isn't doable at my location.

Before I go and plan to buy a new oil boiler (I do have an electric hot water heater right now) I was wondering if I should consider propane instead? Cost doesn't seem to be that much different overall for propane vs oil but there are some pros and cons and I'm just not sure what they all are and if it's worth pursuing. I have a 2,400 square foot colonial with an unfinished basement.

Any thoughts, opinions or information will be appreciated.

I have electric heat and I got tired of the pellet stove lugging the bags cleaning the stove and all the dust. I have a 2000 square foot house that I'm heating with a jotul. At first I was unsure about it heating the house, after adjusting the settings I'm happy with it. So far this season I've only spent about 150.00

Reactions: crizpynutz
I have electric heat and I got tired of the pellet stove lugging the bags cleaning the stove and all the dust. I have a 2000 square foot house that I'm heating with a jotul. At first I was unsure about it heating the house, after adjusting the settings I'm happy with it. So far this season I've only spent about 150.00

Excellent! Thank you very much for the response that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.