Propane is pricey! Do you have any heating options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
We had to take out the old potbelly from the family cabin.

We were looking into DV propane space heaters like the DV-35. I called the tech line and started answering questions. They gave me the right answers and I thought I had a winner. The only thing I wasn't happy about was the volume of propane used... But the heater would only be used on the sholder seasons and every once in a while (maybe) in the winter.

Then I called the propane company... Ouch! That stuff is pricey! Even if I used 200 gallons a year it would cost 3.45/lb, plus tank rental, etc! How do people survive with these prices?

My father does not want to use a wood stove even though I'm sure I can sell the idea easy enough. No fuel costs! He's stuck on propane. We'd like to use much less propane.

He's considering a ventless heater. I have a tough time getting my head around the idea of ventless combustion. He's a fireman and having a tough time also. Everything I read says it's safe. So what is the take here? I don't mind opening a window in a cabin that is far from airtight. I plan to install some insualtion in the ceiling. I just hate the idea of not venting the exhaust out. I don't believe moisture accumulation would be a problem since the heater would not be used much.

Matt

Matt, usually when purchasing propane for heating purposes, it is not bought by the pound, it is sold by the gallon. Where I am located, I just filled my 500 gallon tank (filled to 80 %, meaning 400 gallons) @ $1.52 per gallon. So basically, if you were to use 200 gallons a year, it would be about $300 for the propane (+tank rental, which is usually LESS than $50 per year).

Thankfully, one tank will last the year for me (have I ever told anyone that I LOVE burning wood).

Matt, propane is often sold at a higher price in smaller volumes. Shop around and see if you can get that price down.

Also, it may be best to think in terms of gallons. There is about 90000 btu/hr in a gallon. With a 35K/btu/hr stove that's about 2.5 hours at full tilt. Figuring heat loss will the 35K be enough?

I'd go wood stove.

Sean

Have you looked into wood pellets? There is a lot of info on the net. Eric

I'll have to look into other propane suppliers. I did a search and found a few other ones in the area.

I looked into pellets. If I didn't need electricity they may work perfectly. I'd love to have the only worry in that I have to pick up a few bags of pellets and toss them in the trunk. All electronics would have to be pretty high up in the stove, we have had water in it in the past. We have to turn the electricity off every winter per the insurance company. Another cabin in the corporation we belong to put one in. They're up out of the flood zone so maybe they don't have to turn off the electricity during the winter?

Today I looked into how long I could expect a tank to last. It's not as bad as I initially thought. We would probably go through 100 gallons in about 5-6 years. If we went vent free, we would be looking at a 25+% increase in efficiency so it would last even longer. I'm just worried about safety.

I wish he would agree to a wood stove also. The stove I am using for the house now was originally picked up for the cabin.

Does anybody have any fears about vent free? Elk? Any inspection issues with them?

Matt

"Does anybody have any fears about vent free?"

Absolutely. They dump CO into your room, deplete oxygen, and also dump huge amounts of water vapor into the home. I've been into a business that was using one and the place stunk like heck of it. Very bad mojo from that system. For some reason I feel much better about a kerosene heater.

Totally not worth the slight drop in efficiency.

If the thing will be getting wet then I don't know that I would even want to swamp a gas heater. There are electronics and thin metals that may be sensitive to corrosion. Since you can't have power during the winter anyway this stove won't be life or death. Have you priced portable electric heaters as well as their operating costs? The initial purchase price of a pellet stove or gas stove will buy a lot of electricity and if you're flooding the appliance then you'll be repairing it alot. At least you can take the electrical heater home.

EatenByLimestone said:
I'll have to look into other propane suppliers. I did a search and found a few other ones in the area.

I looked into pellets. If I didn't need electricity they may work perfectly. I'd love to have the only worry in that I have to pick up a few bags of pellets and toss them in the trunk. All electronics would have to be pretty high up in the stove, we have had water in it in the past. We have to turn the electricity off every winter per the insurance company. Another cabin in the corporation we belong to put one in. They're up out of the flood zone so maybe they don't have to turn off the electricity during the winter?

Today I looked into how long I could expect a tank to last. It's not as bad as I initially thought. We would probably go through 100 gallons in about 5-6 years. If we went vent free, we would be looking at a 25+% increase in efficiency so it would last even longer. I'm just worried about safety.

I wish he would agree to a wood stove also. The stove I am using for the house now was originally picked up for the cabin.

Does anybody have any fears about vent free? Elk? Any inspection issues with them?

Matt

Boy that is not much propane. If I were you I would buy a small tank at Home Depot (maybe even a 20 pound) and call around for the best price. Sounds like you could get by with a full one of those every year. If you own your own tank then you don't need to get involved in a long term contract....

I spent hours and hours of research on Vent versus Vent-Free and in the end decided I was not comfortable going the vent-free route. The only advantages of vent free are the lower front-end cost, and the somewhat lower installation cost. The additional efficiency you get with vent-free will be wiped out when you have to crack the window to let the byproducts escape. I would just scan CraigsList for DV propane heaters until you find a good one. If you had electricity i'd say to definitely go for a Rinnai. If you're off-grid you can look for one of the wood stove radiant heat types.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.