Propane Lighter for Wood Stove Inserts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machodrone

Oct 25, 2006
My "brother-in-law :smirk: " used a gas log set in his open-fireplace for years, but now burns wood. He uses his propane line to light the wood (I have not observed it in use nor have I seen the valve or lighter at all).

Does such a device exist for an airtight cast iron woodstove? I feel this is economic and instant gratification compared to black-palm-newspaper-wadding, hope-kindling-lights-this-time... 8-/ when I was little.

if anyone writes a kaBOOM joke, i'll scream :-/

LPG
Air tight area

BOOM!

Yeah, Gas log lighters aren't very safe in air tight stoves. Even one in a open fireplace makes me a little nervous. I spent a little time in the San Antonio area of Texas and it seemed that every open fireplace had one. Most of our local jurisdicitions here in Bucks and Montgomery Counties in PA have made them illegal. As BeGreen suggested, get yourself a good firestarter. Also do a search on the forum, there are many threads around here about sucsessful methods of build a fire in a wood stove.

Thanks. I have a small house. What few closets we have keep the floorspace open. Closets are already full with Bulk purchased TP, Linen, and seasonal storage. I'll find a place for Super Cedar, maybe enlarge my sock drawer. ;-)

With the aged pine I've been burning of late (was on place for two three years, looks like they tried to burn it in a pile at one time!) I've found while attempting to get a draft going with newspapers that the woods lights off from the newspapers! I got those wax and wood firestarters with the rectangular cross sections (vs triangular that I don't like) that are easy to break off at the local True Value hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.