proper chimney height above roof?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeski

Jan 28, 2011
Detroit
I have another rookie question.What I have read about chimneys indicates that it must extend 2' above any surface within 10'. Is this accurate? My chimney will go through the roof near the perimeter of my 24' wide cabin with a 10/12 roof pitch. I would be looking at over 10' of stack from the point that it breaks out of the roof. is this right?

A minimum of 3' above the point at which it penetrates the roof, then additional chimney (if necessary) to get it 2' above any part of the structure within 10' horizontally from it. Sounds like you're figuring it out. When you bring a chimney out toward the fringe of a steeply-pitched roof, you're gonna have to take it up a ways. You'll need to brace it, as well. Rick

fossil said:
A minimum of 3' above the point at which it penetrates the roof, then additional chimney (if necessary) to get it 2' above any part of the structure within 10' horizontally from it. Sounds like you're figuring it out. When you bring a chimney out toward the fringe of a steeply-pitched roof, you're gonna have to take it up a ways. You'll need to brace it, as well. Rick

Thanks, wont be pretty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.