Proper stacking question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Molsonc1

Dec 14, 2017
Canada
Hi all,lots of good reads in here. I'll try to make this shirt. Getting a Pacific energy fp25 in the spring. My buddy has 100+ acres of hardwood. He has hired someone to harvest/clean it up. They are cutting down and removing 2900 trees and leaving all the "tops" which I get to have :). All red and white oak, maple, iron wood. I already have gotten 3 cords css. My question is do you stack with bark side down or up. I read that bark side up prevents the water from evaporating. Any truth to this. Thanks

Bark side up prevents water from getting directly onto the wood you are trying to dry.

My wood drys in a shed so I don't care how it stacks for as long is the space in maximized.

Hi all,lots of good reads in here. I'll try to make this shirt. Getting a Pacific energy fp25 in the spring. My buddy has 100+ acres of hardwood. He has hired someone to harvest/clean it up. They are cutting down and removing 2900 trees and leaving all the "tops" which I get to have :). All red and white oak, maple, iron wood. I already have gotten 3 cords css. My question is do you stack with bark side down or up. I read that bark side up prevents the water from evaporating. Any truth to this. Thanks
Bark side up on the top two or three rows to shed precipitation. Bark side down on all the rest to allow for maximum evaporation.

If you top cover, all bark side down.

I recommend top covering in all but arid environments.

Actually makes very little difference whether you stack bark up or down.

Doesn't matter how you stack it just make sure it gets plenty of air flow and is top covered

Reactions: Molsonc1
Wow that will keep you busy splitting and stacking for a while, all prime woods too. Some of my stacks are bark side up, others bark side down. Most that are bark side up, I stacked a while ago with the intention of not covering, but I've since covered pretty much everything. I would say stack however it fits best.

Is your buddy getting paid for the timber? I have pretty much the exact situation except my friend didn’t have 2,000 trees cut down. All oak, maple, and black walnut.

Is your buddy getting paid for the timber? I have pretty much the exact situation except my friend didn’t have 2,000 trees cut down. All oak, maple, and black walnut.
Yes he is getting paid but I don't know how much. They had to extend the contract for a few more months because he isn't done yet. 2900 Is a lot of trees but when I walk around you can't even tell.

Yes he is getting paid but I don't know how much. They had to extend the contract for a few more months because he isn't done yet. 2900 Is a lot of trees but when I walk around you can't even tell.
That should be a pretty fat paycheck. And a lifetime of free firewood for you.