WiscWoody Posted By WiscWoody, Nov 20, 2018 at 9:50 PM

1. Jazzberry

Jazzberry
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2014
    Loc:
    Next to Yosemite
    I cut a couple rounds off a 36" log with a friends woods ported 460. Not sure all he had done to it but it made my 084 look like I put the chain on backwards. It had a custom built muffler with 4 bell shaped exit holes on it. Pretty awesome.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JimBear and WiscWoody like this.
  2. Todd67

Todd67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Northern NY
    I have a Husky 338 XPT that was given to me about 15 years ago. It's starting to run a little rough, & doesn't put out high RPM's like it used to. All I've ever used in it is non-ethanol premium gas. It's either time to replace it or have it ported and tuned. I haven't priced either option yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Montanalocal likes this.
  3. WiscWoody

WiscWoody
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 24, 2011
    Loc:
    NW Wisconsin where us fools live
    The 390XP is a beast of a saw ported and like I said in a previous post here that I figure it has a little I’ve 9hp now but I also had the guy that ported the saw, Scott Kunz aka Tree Monkey of Augusta Wisconsin- put a better breathing carburetor on the saw too. With a sharp chain and the rakers ground down a bit it’s a very fast cutting saw.

Todd67 likes this.
  4. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    The stock 460 has a slightly higher (2953 fps vs. 2828 fps) chain speed than a stock 084, but let's not forget the 084 has 43% more horsepower out of the box. I'd be surprised if any port job adds 43%.

Also, the HP of the 084 would allow you to easily run an 8-pin x .404" sprocket in the same wood as that 460, which would bump chain speed up to 3232 fps, substantially faster than the 460. Some guys even run 9 x .404" on their 084's, if they're running shorter bars, which will spin that chain at a blistering 3636 fps. That will turn the head of any 460 owner, ported or not!

woodhog73 likes this.
  5. Matt93eg

Matt93eg
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2013
    Loc:
    North Carolina

Gonna think more about the porting over the winter. This is my firewood cutting time so I can’t turn loose of my saw until after the cold weather is gone.

WiscWoody likes this.
  6. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Best I can explain is it behaves like it's very pi$$ed off at the wood.

Not all porting is the same though.

WiscWoody likes this.
  7. FTG-05

FTG-05
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2014
    Loc:
    TN
    How do you port a saw? Is it a DIY project or strictly experienced only?

I muffler mod'd my MS-362CM. Dang thing runs like a ***** ape now. :)

8. Jazzberry

Jazzberry
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2014
    Loc:
    Next to Yosemite
    Well they are completely different creatures for sure but I can tell you that paper and seat of the pants will argue. This saw was far from stock. It was sorta like the first time you run a ms 200 with the muffler opened up only x 10.

Ashful likes this.
  9. JimBear

JimBear
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 15, 2017
    Loc:
    SW Iowa
    I just got my ported Stihl 440 back (now a hybrid since it’s got a 460 top end in it). I have been able to cut some 18”-20” Cherry & Mulberry & a couple 24” Hedge trees. I am running a 24” bar & it definitely put a smile on my face. :):):). Hopefully the snow will melt off & it will freeze up here & I can get to a couple of 30” - 36” Honey Locusts. Here’s the initial test cuts Carl made after porting it in a 24” oak log, Carl did some more adjustments to idle & carb settings. It’s had 3 tanks thru it now.

Todd67 and Ashful like this.
  10. woodhog73

woodhog73
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2016
    Loc:
    Somewhere cold !
    Just curious what length bars you were running and back to back ? I’ve gotta believe when it comes to running very long bars the 084 would prevail over the modified 460. It’s just giving up too much displacement in my opinion.

My heavily modded Jonsered 2252 ( Husky 545 / 550) with a 16 inch bar and let’s just say a 14 inch log is pretty much a match for my 70cc Jonsered 2172 in the same size wood. The chain speed is very fast. Also the ported 50cc is pretty close to my old Stihl 056 as well in a small log. That little 50cc ported saw is an absolute screamer like it’s from another world. Like one of those fancy light swords from Star Wars movies what’s it called ? Lightsaber?

BUT if I were to put a 20 inch bar on my ported 50cc and cut say bigger wood I’m pretty sure my Jonsered 2172 and 056 Stihl would be far faster. It’s a case of no replacement for displacement. My 50cc would never be able to pull a 24 inch or larger bar with any kind of authority no matter how strong it runs. Putting a 24 inch on my 056 as old as it is well it just rips through wood. But I have big saws for long bars. Putting anything on a 50cc larger than 18 inches (ported or not) defeats the purpose of a light small saw. If it’s your only saw I suppose it can pull longer bar when needed but not with any kind of speed.

That said a nicely ported 460 sure would be a nice saw to run in the woods. I’d take one.

Todd67 likes this.
  11. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I assume you’re not talking about the 056 AV Magnum II, at 94cc. Those things are screamers, I’ve used one, and I don’t think there’s been a “big” saw ever made that touches that one on speed. I evaluated one against my 064, and it was awesome, but I went the the newer 064 for parts availability reasons.

Todd67 likes this.
  12. woodhog73

woodhog73
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2016
    Loc:
    Somewhere cold !
    No. Actually I have 2 of the 056s that we’re family hand me downs. Both were in a box of parts.I wanted atleast one of them to run and cut so I set out to rebuild atleast one of them. I went out and purchased another non running 056 for a few parts I needed. So all told what I started with was an 056, an 056 super, and the worst shape one an 056 magnum. So technically I own three 056s but not really because only 1 is running and complete.

What I’m running and ended up with is an 056 with the top end from the super. 88cc I think. The magnum is like you said 94cc ( or I thought 92cc ?).

That said it’s slow reving saw. I also have an 031 from around the same era. Also slow reving saw. Difference is atleast the 056 puts out a lot of power. If a saw doesn’t have high rpm and high chain speed it better atleast have power.

Compared to my Jonsered 2172 which is modern and high rpm at only 70cc the 056 does feel stronger. But it doesn’t seem that much faster if at all in the wood I normally cut which is at most 36 to 40 inch diameter oak trees at the base. So I usually just use the 2172 with a 24 inch bar side to side on the larger oaks because parts are too hard to find on the old 056.

I cut up a standing dead red oak yesterday that was 2 feet around I just used my 50cc. Lighter and seems just as fast on the smaller stuff.

Todd67 likes this.
  13. Jazzberry

Jazzberry
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2014
    Loc:
    Next to Yosemite

Bars were lots different and I wouldn't choose the 460 over my 084 for the mill. Different type of power. Like a race car and a diesel truck. But man throttle response and power with a 24? or 28? bar was pretty special.

Ashful likes this.
  14. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    The guy at my local saw shop loaned me one of their used 084’s, and when he handed it to me, he called it “boring”. Gobs of power, they just slowly chew their way thru anything, but not known as the most fun saw in the shed.

15. Jazzberry

Jazzberry
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2014
    Loc:
    Next to Yosemite
    He nailed it but on a mill you can't touch it. My 084 is far far more powerful compared to my 064. If I wasn't milling I would sell it in a minute.

Ashful likes this.