Proximity of Smoke and Co Alarm to Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cparts

Aug 7, 2017
Southwest Virginia
Hello,

New to the pellet stove world. What is your experience with smoke/co alarms and pellet stoves?

I am going to be using Nest models. Will I be getting a lot of nuisance alarms from the pellet stove if the Nest detector is at the entrance way to the room - say 18 feet from the stove?

What is your experience with nuisance alarms and pellet stoves, please?

Thanks.

Hello,

New to the pellet stove world. What is your experience with smoke/co alarms and pellet stoves?

I am going to be using Nest models. Will I be getting a lot of nuisance alarms from the pellet stove if the Nest detector is at the entrance way to the room - say 18 feet from the stove?

What is your experience with nuisance alarms and pellet stoves, please?

Thanks.

If the stove is installed correctly, you should not get any false alarms from the stove. It is not like a wood stove where smoke can leak out when loading wood. Yes on a rear occasion a pellet may fall into areas it should not and cause some smoke but as a rule a pellet stove should not set off a CO or Smoke detector. I have one sitting 8 feet from my stove and no false alarms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl
In 15 years with my detector (replaced 3 times ) 6 Ft. from the stove . It has
never gone off . As Mralios said if your stove is installed correctly there is no
smoke leakage .

Never had a nuisance alarm. Have a detector ~7 feet from my main floor stove in the stairway (no door so free flow of air). then I have another one directly in the air flow from the main floor stove at 15 ft away. Hey, both detectors were already there when I moved in (although I have replaced 2 of them), I just installed the stove where I had clearances to do so.

My basement stove has a detector about 10 ft from it.