Pulled some black locust out of the woods....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
....out of the woods here at work(hospital). A homeowner threw these over a short fence onto hospital property at least a year ago (maybe 2 years). I forgot about it then, and just saw it was still there this morning. Its not the biggest score ever, but nice, solid, free black locust is always welcome in my yard. BTW, it was on the ground for a long,long time...and all the wood is SOLID...no rot at all. The bark fell right off, but Id rather leave that in the woods than at my house, anyway.

Attachments

• locust.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 455
  • locust1a.bmp
    521.9 KB · Views: 392
Nice Score...Now all you have to do is split & stack it.

The beauty of that score is you were there anyway, no muss, no fuss, no gas, and great wood.

Shawn

Free is always good,no matter how small the score.Even better when its something like BL.

And all while I was "on the clock"....nice! ;-P

wood-fan-atic said:
And all while I was "on the clock"....nice! ;-P

So you were paid to collect a BL scrounge !!! Very nice !!!

Shawn

Nice,
Serious BTU's there.

Very nice score. Nice that you got to leave the bark in the woods too!

Flatbedford said:
Very nice score. Nice that you got to leave the bark in the woods too!

Yeah...that is my ONLY complaint with locust...that huge pile of bark left over.

Nice score!! Great wood for those cold night.

I got a batch of deadwood Locust recently and it looked just like your stuff. No bark on mine either. The base rounds were all curved and sculpted like yours. Split like a dream and was nice and dry to begin with. I'll definitely plan on burning it around mid-winter this coming season. Nice score!

No matter that there was not a huge pile. Even that little bit will help out greatly. Save them until January 31.....or thereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.