Pulp hooks, who else likes them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 5'-9". maybe its more than 5'. I don't remember now. All I know is that i can grab rounds from the front of my 9' bed without stretching.

Sent ya a PM.

I don't think two hooks would work well, at least the old school types. The log would want to roll. The way I do it now works well, it's time tested. :)

K

I'm 5'-9". maybe its more than 5'. I don't remember now. All I know is that i can grab rounds from the front of my 9' bed without stretching.
I thought U hit the wrong button, it must be 6 or 7 feet, send it to me and I will check it ;)

It's the 72" one. Six feet. Just a bit taller than me. I just checked the website. peaveymfg.com

K,
That's why one in front and in back. No rolling. I'll go up to about 12 inches or so, resting on my thighs. Oak, no, maple is doable. You can span it, too, but not for heavier logs. Two hooks are complements, whereas one hook and one hand tend to make the hand/arm work more.

Talking about pulp hooks, this guy sure knows how to use them!;) Love his processor too!

i need one when i use my woodsplitter!....here you can see it,not very visible in my avatar INTERNET POST PIC NO. 158 Large Web view.jpg

I'm with Thistle on this one. I bought one at first and now have two. They really make moving the wood so much easier and no or practically no bending of the back. Another nice thing is when the wood is wet your gloves stay dry. Got the Mrs to use one this year and she too fell in love with it. Many times when cutting in thick stuff I'll cut the trees down in 4' sections. Just hook onto the end and drag it out and it works like a charm.

I like the tongs
I finally found a pair of used 12in tongs, $28 and picked up a long hay hook for 8 bucks using them together or separate, I can pick up 20" round or 3" stick , with out all the bending over . I think I did good compared to new tongs $50, pulp hook $25 plus shipping for both
I did had to temper the end of the sharpened ,hay hook to keep it from bending, after tempering no more bending.

I can lift the same weight much easier this way, this set up works really good, better than I thought it would

Attachments

• IMG_20130423_175922.jpg
    IMG_20130423_175922.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20130423_180339.jpg
    IMG_20130423_180339.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 278
Based on some of the replies on this thread I went and bought myself a 3' pickaroon and the Husky 8" tongs to go with my pulp hooks. I like the pickaroon for jockeying large rounds onto my splitter. It makes it much easier than pulling or pushing a round by hand or kicking them along, You also get some leverage on them, making it pretty easy to flip one end for end. And it your work area isn't flat you can stay on the uphill side and still have a chance to keep control over a rolling round. The Pickaroon is definitely a worthy tool, I get my logs delivered but I cant see how you could ever not use one pulling wood out the bed of a truck.

With respect to the tongs, I'm still on the fence with them. They work well on round wood up to its opening width. You can push it onto a round and it will open and then catch when you pull it back. They are more difficult to get to work on splits. If the split is square the self open/grab becomes much more tricky. Cleanly split wood also seems to lack purchase for the tongs to grab on, it is difficult to pick up a pie on the split faces. The tongs do beat pulp hooks for letting a piece go. Pulp hooks take a bit of work to get out of the wood. Maybe I can learn to master the tongs on splits but for now I still like my pulp hooks for picking them up. I also like my hooks for positioning second splits, (still large rounds) and pulling splits apart while still on the splitter. Tongs are useless at repositioning 1/2 of a 24" round. Tongs do have one safety advantage in that it is downright near impossible to poke a hole in yourself with one if you screw up. I think I'll take the tongs to my camp where i'm working with much smaller diameter wood.

Based on some of the replies on this thread I went and bought myself a 3' pickaroon and the Husky 8" tongs to go with my pulp hooks. I like the pickaroon for jockeying large rounds onto my splitter. It makes it much easier than pulling or pushing a round by hand or kicking them along, You also get some leverage on them, making it pretty easy to flip one end for end. And it your work area isn't flat you can stay on the uphill side and still have a chance to keep control over a rolling round. The Pickaroon is definitely a worthy tool, I get my logs delivered but I cant see how you could ever not use one pulling wood out the bed of a truck.

With respect to the tongs, I'm still on the fence with them. They work well on round wood up to its opening width. You can push it onto a round and it will open and then catch when you pull it back. They are more difficult to get to work on splits. If the split is square the self open/grab becomes much more tricky. Cleanly split wood also seems to lack purchase for the tongs to grab on, it is difficult to pick up a pie on the split faces. The tongs do beat pulp hooks for letting a piece go. Pulp hooks take a bit of work to get out of the wood. Maybe I can learn to master the tongs on splits but for now I still like my pulp hooks for picking them up. I also like my hooks for positioning second splits, (still large rounds) and pulling splits apart while still on the splitter. Tongs are useless at repositioning 1/2 of a 24" round. Tongs do have one safety advantage in that it is downright near impossible to poke a hole in yourself with one if you screw up. I think I'll take the tongs to my camp where i'm working with much smaller diameter wood.

The tongs I got, didn't work very well on splits until I sharpened em up, then big difference

Reactions: paul bunion
The tongs I got, didn't work very well on splits until I sharpened em up, then big difference
Good tip, or is that a point..:) ...as I reach for my file....

Status
Not open for further replies.