Purchacing used fireview tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
I will be reviewing a used Woodstock Fireview soon and I am posting to ask for any advise to what to look for when determining its value.

The Specs

Model 205

Assembly date 9/02

Condition Very little use

see attached pictures. (hope it shows up )

So far I know to check for signs of over fire.

What else should I check for ?

The asking price is $1500

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00910.JPG
    DSC00910.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 482
  • DSC00909.JPG
    DSC00909.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 479
From what I can see it looks like it's in great shape. Check the damper plate or other cast parts for warpness with the dollar bill test and also check the catalyst for cracks or crumbling. $1500 is a great deal.

I agree with Todd. You may also have to replace the cat. To fully check that, you can see two shipping bolts holding the cat in. Remove those and just lift the cat out. Look it over for any cracks and/or broken pieces. If it is okay, just put it back in. You'd better also replace those shipping bolts before moving it.

If you do buy it, you can remove the lid, door and firebrick to lighten the load a bit but that thing is still heavy. We put ours on a furniture dolly and made easy work out of moving it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the fast replies !

Good tips , this website and its posters have really helped with my "Wood Stove Journey"

It appears that the journey may have a new chapter to start soon, I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Mike

I ended up going for a new Fireview from Woodstock.
The numbers added up to make it very worth for me to go the new route.
They just started there "Year End Clearence Sale" and I will save $600 on a new Fireview , I plan on picking it up to so I
will be saving even more.

Now to see if the Fireview's efficiency equals 75% or better to qualify for the "Tax Credit" of 30% ,wouldn't that be GREAT !

I get a good vibe about Woodstock and I am looking forward to the tour and meeting there Four legged associates soon !

MC

I also would have just bought new. The 1500$ asking price is high for a 7YO used stove. With a new stove you can pick your colors and know the history.

Half price would be more attractive.

Mike, I agree with you on going with the new stove. It will treat you well.

We too bought with a good sale on the stove and installed it the following summer. I was still concerned that the stove might be too small for our needs. Wow! Was I ever wrong! If you are half as happy with that stove as I am, you will be a very happy camper. Congratulations.

I ended up going for a new Fireview from Woodstock.

This new one that you are purchasing doesn't include the "updates" does it? I received the woodstock literature yesterday advertising the $600 savings; I'm really want to pull the trigger, but I'll wait until next year. Hopefully, they'll run the same sale then too.

Best Wishes on your new purchase.

You better jump on it now, they are also advertising a 30% tax credit, so you can purchase the Fireview for $1500.

Why wait for the upgrade, it's going to a retrofit to all exsisting models and they don't know how long it could be til the upgrade is available, could be next year or the next, it depends on all the red tape and EPA testing. I'm thinking Woodstock will be getting real busy with this big sale and tax break, best to get a head of the game.

"The numbers added up to make it very worth for me to go the new route. "

I just review Woodstock's website and my good vibe with Woodstock is increasing !

Easy ED,

As for waiting for the upgrade , I agree with Todd and do not see a big advantage to waiting.

Time to get my hearth prepped for the install.

Feeling Stimulated
MC

Mike_C said:
"The numbers added up to make it very worth for me to go the new route. "

I just review Woodstock's website and my good vibe with Woodstock is increasing !

Easy ED,

As for waiting for the upgrade , I agree with Todd and do not see a big advantage to waiting.

Time to get my hearth prepped for the install.

Feeling Stimulated
MC

Guys, I'm ready to pull the plug on this right now, but I have to operate in restraint. I'll be moving in a few mos and getting
another job, not sure of the house we will purchase etc etc. The idea of picking up the stove at half price is almost too hard
to pass up. My thoughts are if we do not need it I have 6 mos to return it to Woodstock or for that price I can sell it to someone
else for what I paid for it. I can purchase a nice saw and piping with the savings and possibly still pocket a few cents, I'm going to think on this over the weekend
before I make my decision though.

Is this $600 dollar sale something that Woodstock does every year?

They do normally have sales every year but not necessarily that many dollars off.

Backwoods Savage said:
They do normally have sales every year but not necessarily that many dollars off.

I'm going to wait until after the move and then I'll proceed with the purchase of a stove, the tax credit is for 2009 and 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.