put the nc-13 to work, briefly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
i had a couple hours spare time this past a.m. so i decided to stop by the cottage...brrr-4f inside temp!
well sir, i lit a fire in the nc-13 and within one hour, the temp had risen 40 degrees. i thought the recovery would have been quicker than that, but it sure felt good. (yes, i know that everything in the cottage was at a temp of 4f, so it takes a longer period of time to warm up) that was all the time i could spend there today.
but when i got out of the car and walked down the driveway (not plowed) i did hear what sounded like a gunshot that turned into a jet engine roar going from north to south when i realized that it was the lake finally freezing up and must have been a pressure crack going the length of the lake. i'll bet the sound easily lasted about 15 sec. usually, when the lake makes ice, its more of a deep bass sound like distant drums/rumbling or such.

I would love to have a place on the U.P.

Maybe someday! For now, I have to live vicariously through posts like this.

-SF

I think his cottage needs better insulation if the 13 cracked the ice on the lake.

BrotherBart said:
I think his cottage needs better insulation if the 13 cracked the ice on the lake.

Wish our 13 did that :)

SlyFerret said:
40 degrees in an hour is actually pretty impressive!

-SF

x2!

Status
Not open for further replies.