Putting the saw away for the winter, what do I need to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smabon

Jan 29, 2009
Lunenburg, Ma
So I have reach the end of my cutting season and don't plan on using my saw for 3 or 4 months. What do I need to do with it before it takes it's well deserved nap? Should I run the gas out of it or leave it in. My father once told me that he runs his saw dry then puts some oil in the gas tank and gives it a couple of pulls. What do you all do with your saws? Thanks for your time.

Sharpen chain, break it down clean with compressed air, reassemble, top all fluids and store.

Pro DIY said:
So I have reach the end of my cutting season and don't plan on using my saw for 3 or 4 months. What do I need to do with it before it takes it's well deserved nap? Should I run the gas out of it or leave it in. My father once told me that he runs his saw dry then puts some oil in the gas tank and gives it a couple of pulls. What do you all do with your saws? Thanks for your time.

This is a "religious debate" question - you will get a lot of different opinions, most of them will say "I've been doing it this way for umpteen years and my saws run fine" - My general process for any engine is to try and run the carb dry, and that's about it. If the equipment has a gas valve, I turn the valve off and fill the tank w/ fuel that has had some "Stabil" added to it.

On a saw, I've seen some advice that if one normally runs the "green" veggie type bar oil, you should drain the oil tank, put a few ounces of dino-squeezings oil in, and run the saw long enough to flush out the vegemite... The claim is that otherwise the veggie oil will break down and gum up the pump and lines...

Some people like to "fog out" their engines - run them almost out of gas and then spray oil (some use special fogging oil, others use WD-40 or other spray oils) into the carb trying to keep the engine running on it for a minute or two, then giving it enough of a shot to kill the engine - If you can still see anything downwind while doing this, you aren't using enough oil...

Others will pull the plug and put a shot or two of motor oil into the plug hole and turn the engine over a couple of times.

Generally I don't bother with that - just run the carb dry and put it away - maybe try and clean the worst of the gruck off the outside...

If you have a 4-stroke engine, it is also a great time to drain the oil and fill with fresh while the engine is still warm.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
This is a "religious debate" question -
Well... I hope God doesn't strike me down but I just toss it in the shed. Still starts in 3 pulls after more than 30 years of abuse.

One time I went to grab the saw from the shed and it almost tore my arm off. The darn thing had froze solid to the floor. LOL

I typically use my saw till it runs out of gas, wait for it to cool and put it back in its carrying case. In the spring I'll fill it, prime it and its running on the third pull.

I've had the same $100 Craftsman 18" 42cc saw (bought it as an open box special, normally about $170 I think) since 1998. I have only had to replace a few chains that I ruined while learning how not to use a chainsaw and bought a new bar that got pinched in a tree that twisted while I was dropping it.

I'm one of those people who typically will not replace equipment until the old stuff can no longer do the job...I'm still patiently awaiting my turn to get a "good" saw...something tells me I'm going to continue to have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.