Pv system install completed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
After all these months of waiting and back and forth, my system is installed. The original system configuration is different, but i am now green. I have a 52 panel system LG 335 watt. 2 inverters, fully optimized. Production is estimated at 20Kw. This should cover my usage fully soooooo, no more electric bill. Pay off will by 5 years and i own the system. I get to wright off a full 30% of the system cost on my federal income tax... super stoked...
I am now 100% utility free.. i power my home from the sun.. i heat with wood, my water comes from my well...

Congratulations! My wife and I also experience the joy of $0 electric bills. With 66 MWh of energy delivered so far, we not only meet 100% of our household electric use, we also power a Chevy Bolt EV. And an efficient wood stove for the house plus a wood gasification hot water heating system for the shop closes the loop on not buying utility energy.

Every day you will thank yourself for the decision to go solar.

Congratulations, for the first few months you will probably be staring at the numbers hourly and daily, then weekly. Eventually you will start just looking at the monthly bill from the utility looking at your credit versus your usage. The system is going on line just after the solstice so you will see a decline in production until mid winter which can be unsettling. One thing that is will be of interest is that your system maximum output usually occurs around noon on a cold day with snow on the ground (assuming the panels are clear) Once spring rolls around and the production cranks up you will start watching it more often until you hit the long days of the summer. About a year from now you will probably be paying about a much attention to it as any other appliance.

One thing to watch out for is your total demand could start creeping up, its easy to rationalize that adding new electric devices is free as the power is free. I intentionally put in extra PV so I always carry a credit and use my minisplit to burn it up.

Out of curosity is there an SREC market in your area?. In some areas those quarterly checks are a nice bonus. I dont get much but it just about offsets my monthly connection fees with my utility.

Wow - that's a lot of juice. For us at least. I think we'd need a system about half that size.

This is looking more & more attractive around here too. The utility has gotten more accommodating and there are new incentives. I have a great spot out in the yard for a bunch of panels - which ideally there would be a new garage built underneath of at the same time. Will be a tough slog convincing my other half of all that but I've been working at it....

Congratulations, for the first few months you will probably be staring at the numbers hourly and daily, then weekly. Eventually you will start just looking at the monthly bill from the utility looking at your credit versus your usage. The system is going on line just after the solstice so you will see a decline in production until mid winter which can be unsettling. One thing that is will be of interest is that your system maximum output usually occurs around noon on a cold day with snow on the ground (assuming the panels are clear) Once spring rolls around and the production cranks up you will start watching it more often until you hit the long days of the summer. About a year from now you will probably be paying about a much attention to it as any other appliance.

One thing to watch out for is your total demand could start creeping up, its easy to rationalize that adding new electric devices is free as the power is free. I intentionally put in extra PV so I always carry a credit and use my minisplit to burn it up.

Out of curosity is there an SREC market in your area?. In some areas those quarterly checks are a nice bonus. I dont get much but it just about offsets my monthly connection fees with my utility.

So to answer your question, here in NJ we are a closed border market for srec. The exchange is somwhere arounk 215 per srec i will produce 20 so that is a yearly income of 4300 going twards paying for the system, plus the no electric bill portion

Thanks, beats the $40 a MW in NH.

Thanks, beats the $40 a MW in NH.
Its one of the main reasons of doing it.. was that i am using my srec to help pay it off faster. Then after the 5 year pay off. I am ahead for the life of the system.. i know it will take a bit to get to the point that i am generating as much as i am using due to it being fall now and the days are getting shorter but im patient and my day will come

Its one of the main reasons of doing it.. was that i am using my srec to help pay it off faster. Then after the 5 year pay off. I am ahead for the life of the system.. i know it will take a bit to get to the point that i am generating as much as i am using due to it being fall now and the days are getting shorter but im patient and my day will come
wow all I get is credits(and I pay a distribution fee) if I don't use them in the year I lose them.
Welcome to Maine

Last edited: