Quad Castile combustion fan.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to hear the 3 speeds of the combustion blower is to turn up the stat (call for heat), then once the stove starts (comb blower is spinning) turn the stat down (no call for heat). This will take the noise of the room air blower (convection) out. So the only noise you hear is Exhaust.

Now turn the stove from Low, to Med, to High. You will hear the blower "Step up" with each setting.

Then I guess I will stick with my current T-Stat.

I also ordered some springs for the convection tube "upgrade".
Good to hear we have added another 'convert' to our mod group. :) When you get them, put that bend in one end and TWIST them to get them in. They won't just slide in but twisting them will let them go in easily. Putting them in the outer two tubes is almost not worth it in my opinion and looking at the test data. Very little air goes through them.
Relocating the convection blower snap disc to the top of the side is also worth the effort since it will get the blower to come on sooner. We also are using an adjustable snap disc from Grainger for that one too.

I measured the voltage at the CF motor terminals after the red LED came on on the control box. The voltages were:
High -- 115VAC
Med -- 112VAC
Low -- 110VAC

I don't think that this enough of a voltage change to make any difference in the combustion air flow rate.

I'm going to try and measure them again next time the stove needs to run just to verify these numbers.

According to the service manual for the Quad 1200i the voltages should be:115 high 85 medium and 75 on low. This is "closed circuit voltage" meaning with the conector connected and fan running.Don't have any idea if yours is the same, just wanted to make sure your measuring the voltage with a "closed circuit".

I was measuring line to neutral (motor to earth). I will measure across the two terminals of the motor next time.

I still don't think it is changing speeds though. I would think that those voltage differences would easily be audible and I am not hearing any change.

If.... If that is the only change in voltage, then I could see how its hard to hear.

Should be greater than that. Do you have a Kill-a-Watt meter? Its a good investment for your entire house and under $30-$40.

I monitored the voltages on the fans and blowers yesterday while going from a cold start through the start up cycle and into steady state running. The stove had been running on MED for about 1 hour and both green and red LED's were lit on the top of the control box (black box, not clear).

The voltage at the combustion fan was always 111VAC during the entire time the stove was running (at MED heat).

Here is what I have for the combustion fan at the 3 heat settings after 1 hour of running:
High - 113VAC
MED - 111VAC
LOW - 109VAC

I don't believe that these voltage changes are significant enough to effect the volume of combustion air (= heat) being pulled out of the burn chamber.

Here is what I have for the heat exchanger blower:
High - 115VAC
MED - 106VAC
LOW - 96VAC

There is definitely a difference in the speed of the blower with these voltage changes.

I was wondering if someone with a newer control box could measure the voltage at the combustion blower to see what it is at the 3 heat settings.

According to the service manual for the Quad 1200i the voltages should be:115 high 85 medium and 75 on low. This is "closed circuit voltage" meaning with the conector connected and fan running.Don't have any idea if yours is the same, just wanted to make sure your measuring the voltage with a "closed circuit".

I got my hands on a variac and will hook this up tonight and see if reducing the combustion blower speed aids in heat output. And by that I mean out the heat exchange tubes and not up the flue!

I will reproduce the numbers that you have listed. Looking at the data sheets for the stoves, it seems that the control box is the same for the Castile, Santa Fe and 1200i just to name a few. So I would suspect operation is the same.

The voltages are probably very close to the 1200 if not the exact same. The feed rate (auger times) is probably the main difference.
Per the service manual, the combustion blower should be at...
High- 115v
Med- 105v
Low- 102v

Here is a small sheet that may help. Has the auger cycles and a small troubleshooting guide.
(This may not work)

file:///mnt/sdcard-ext/browser/Quadrafire_start_up_sequence_3.html

Send me your email addy via PM and I can give you the Service manual (all voltages and good guide) its for the Castile insert, but they use the same parts.

These are also pretty handy. Lots of info on Quads out there :)

downloadfile.jpeg downloadfile-1.jpeg

Reactions: BradH70
Thanks Dexter. I've been looking for more technical docs on the Castile but so far can only find the user manual.

Once again Hearth.com proves how valuable it is.

No prob. Did the Service manual come through? Lots of good stuff in there.

I am a techie dummy....

Hey Dexter, the service manual did come through just fine, thank you very much. I already read through it and am sure that it will help me keep the Castile running properly. At this point, it looks like the voltages for the combustion fan and convection blower are what they should be. I will check the thermocouple voltage next. I guess the only verification that might be difficult is the vacuum level. Not sure how to get a probe in the burn chamber yet. The M55 is easy since they provide a hole in the door for a probe.

can someone please post or send me the castile service manual?

i already have an owners manual, but am having trouble locating the service manual online

Where to source the service manual?

Ty

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.