Quad Expedition II…what temp and where?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garlicman

Nov 25, 2021
PA
Good morning! Wood burning rookie here. I have a new, dealer installed, fixed rate EPA wood burning insert. Im trying to determine what temp range to try to run the stove at, and where that temp should be taken. I’ve been using an IR to read collar and box temps. At about 450 in the box (through the glass), I read about 250 on the collar. I’ve been running the stove here, by limiting the amount of wood since I can’t regulate the air with this thing. The dealer won’t commit to a temperature (I don’t think they know) and they are evasive. Quadrafire told me they won’t commit to a temperature, and to talk to the dealer. I’ve got a slight amount of creosote at the top of my chimney after running about ten loads of wood through. My wood is around 20 percent or under. Given the pics, I’m inclined to say I’m too cold, but what do you guys think?

784A3642-8BDE-445D-AF67-8EC9B17CF5A3.jpeg 015145CD-F02D-4EB3-B14B-A8EB28C4A805.jpeg

Yes, it looks like the stove is being run too cool. Temp measured though the glass is meaningless. The top of the insert door would be better. You can take it up to around 600-650º there. While reading temps, compare the left or right recessed area just above the door. Compare. If that area is close to the door temp reading, will a 2" round thermometer fit there?

Good morning! Wood burning rookie here. I have a new, dealer installed, fixed rate EPA wood burning insert. Im trying to determine what temp range to try to run the stove at, and where that temp should be taken. I’ve been using an IR to read collar and box temps. At about 450 in the box (through the glass), I read about 250 on the collar. I’ve been running the stove here, by limiting the amount of wood since I can’t regulate the air with this thing. The dealer won’t commit to a temperature (I don’t think they know) and they are evasive. Quadrafire told me they won’t commit to a temperature, and to talk to the dealer. I’ve got a slight amount of creosote at the top of my chimney after running about ten loads of wood through. My wood is around 20 percent or under. Given the pics, I’m inclined to say I’m too cold, but what do you guys think?

View attachment 286328 View attachment 286329
Yes, it looks like the stove is being run too cool. Temp measured though the glass is meaningless. The top of the insert door would be better. You can take it up to around 600-650º there. While reading temps, compare the left or right recessed area just above the door. Compare. If that area is close to the door temp reading, will a 2" round thermometer fit there?
image.jpg
Right where thermometer is in this picture? Highest I’ve gotten is about 240 in that spot. At that temperature, the flame is extremely high, even with a small amount of wood.

Yes. Looking at the flue liner it doesn't appear that the stove is getting too hot. Try another fire with 3-4 larger splits and see how it does.

View attachment 286639
Right where thermometer is in this picture? Highest I’ve gotten is about 240 in that spot. At that temperature, the flame is extremely high, even with a small amount of wood.
I think if you put it there it's pretty much meaningless, since this is the air duct where the fan blows the hot air out of. Following this because I have the same insert, I've never taken any temps though. Planning on cleaning the liner for the first time this weekend, just got a sooteater in

I think if you put it there it's pretty much meaningless, since this is the air duct where the fan blows the hot air out of. Following this because I have the same insert, I've never taken any temps though. Planning on cleaning the liner for the first time this weekend, just got a sooteater in
Thank you all for your responses!
Vbu, when you start the stove, how much wood are putting in? What kind of burn times are you getting? I feel like I’m over firing once I get the stove going, the flames are very intense and high, and I rip through the wood very quickly once it lights off of the coal bed. That’s with only one large split in. I checked the door gasket, but I still feel like there’s too much air coming in. The dealer tells me that it’s very difficult to overfire, but I’m not convinced of this. I just don’t know how to verify that I’m doing things correctly without temperature or some visual cue. All of the manufacturers instructions and videos are related to their pre epa stoves. I wish I had one!

We have the same insert, purchased Dec 2020, so it has had one full burn season. My concern is both burning too hot or too cool. I had the liner cleaned by the dealer and I couldn't tell how much or little ash/creosote was in the liner, as the cleaning was done at the stove with a vacuum to catch whatever was brushed out of the flue. Like you, the concern is burning too hot or too cool.

One thought is to burn the stove to the point where the blower comes on automatically and assuming that is a burn which is not too hot or cool, check the temperature at a couple of places with a magnetic thermometer , and that may give a better (visual) clue as to operating the stove. As I recall, it took about an hour at a robust burn before the blower would come on.

For heating purposes, the stove puts out a lot of heat at a fairly low burn and so far this year I haven't operated the stove to engage the blower automatically, and this gives rise to the a concern of a too cool burn.

yes my experience is also that it likes to rip through the wood. I find it pretty hard to get the timing hard to reload. Reload too early, and you'll have an inferno heating the chimney more than the house. Do it too late, and the wood won't catch good, making you hit the ACC and then you're back where you started, with an inferno.
I think I get about 2 hours between reloads, maybe a little more? I try to get all the heat I can out of it, it's too small to heat 3300 sq ft when it gets below freezing. Part of that is probably because the insulation isn't what it used to be (house built in 67), the other part is that the wife is always cold lol.
I found the automatic fan control to be a joke, the thing has just about to melt down before the fans will come on. I hardly ever use the automatic function.