Quad Santa Fe firepot impossible to pull

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crf450ish

Sep 15, 2015
Short of me physically loosening the NEW Stainless bolt I just put in there.....I cannot get the firepot to release. The bolt is adjusted to where there is 2 dimes thickness of play yet it will not release on its own!!!!! What the heck is going on? I am talking about the firepot cleanout. Its almost to the point to where I am about to GRIND metal off of the plate that opens and closes so it will not bind. I am sick of this crap.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Hopefully you used a shoulder bolt so it doesn't lock door in place when tightened up, but you did mention an air gap 2 dimes thick. I like to use anti-seize on bolt and areas where metal shears againt cast iron burn pot so it moves easily.

Reactions: kappel15
Short of me physically loosening the NEW Stainless bolt I just put in there.....I cannot get the firepot to release. The bolt is adjusted to where there is 2 dimes thickness of play yet it will not release on its own!!!!! What the heck is going on? I am talking about the firepot cleanout. Its almost to the point to where I am about to GRIND metal off of the plate that opens and closes so it will not bind. I am sick of this crap.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Check the position of the pot dump pan to make sure that is not hanging you up. If you used an aftermarket bolt then that can be your issue. Other than that, pull the pot for closer inspection. Might be bent or needs some grinding of the burnt deposits that seem to weld themselves on there.

Might be bent or needs some grinding of the burnt deposits that seem to weld themselves on there.

I have had to pull my bottom plate and grind off the deposits several times over the years. Sometimes it pops off with a sharp chisel or putty knife but it could be very hard to remove and require a grinder or filed off.

2 dimes thickness seems excessive for your gap. It should only be 1 dime thickness.

If you used a stainless bolt, hopefully you used a carbon steel nut. If you used a stainless nut, you will need to use anti-sieze on the bolt or you will end up with galling. You will ruin the threads on the stainless bolt.

When you say release, do you mean that it will not close on its own after you pull the cleaning rod?

Reactions: kappel15
I have had to pull my bottom plate and grind off the deposits several times over the years. Sometimes it pops off with a sharp chisel or putty knife but it could be very hard to remove and require a grinder or filed off.

2 dimes thickness seems excessive for your gap. It should only be 1 dime thickness.

If you used a stainless bolt, hopefully you used a carbon steel nut. If you used a stainless nut, you will need to use anti-sieze on the bolt or you will end up with galling. You will ruin the threads on the stainless bolt.

When you say release, do you mean that it will not close on its own after you pull the cleaning rod?

I mean I have to pull the ash pan and literally manually push the plate open with a something in order to empty the pot. I have neverseize on everything. Im just buying a new pot and keeping this one as a backup. My wife shouldn't have to deal with this you know. It's just retarded, there should be some sort of gear reduction system implemented in the design so the user isnt left trying fight it every time.

I burn a mix of corn/pellets. Never have a problem. You may want to buy a little corn to burn now and then as it cleans the carbon buildup off the pot floor. Just remember the stove won't ignite corn on its own. kap

I burn a mix of corn/pellets. Never have a problem. You may want to buy a little corn to burn now and then as it cleans the carbon buildup off the pot floor. Just remember the stove won't ignite corn on its own. kap

That's a great idea... just dry harvested corn whole kernel? Or cracked? I've never ever done any research on burning corn.

Whole kernel. I usually mix two scoops corn, to one scoop pellets. If I clean the pot, I usually throw a small handful of pellets in pot, to make sure I get a fire. Once there are ashes, it starts all the time. Problem with burning corn mix, you have to empty pot more often, as a clinker will form from the corn. Corn moisture shouldn't be over 15%, or less then 13% . I have been burning corn in my Santa Fe since I installed it in 2006. You can burn just corn, but you have to throw a handful of pellets in pot first to start the corn,and then stove has to run nonstop, till you shut it down to dump pot. Then throw the handful of pellets in again. Usually only time to burn just corn is if it is cold enough, stove is running nonstop anyway. kap