Quadra Fire 1100i not feeding pellets when hopper is full

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RockyMtnGuy

Feb 25, 2021
Rocky Mountains, Colorado
Hey all, finally got an inherited Quadra Fire up and running and dialed in. It works great when I have only a small amount of pellets in the hopper.

If I fill it up even a little, it stops feeding pellets. Can the hopper being full really be the issue?? I’m using Lignetics brand pellets. I did buy a bag of Heat’rs to see if they make any difference, but haven’t run out the ones in it yet. Anyone see this issue

Auger motor may be weak, not enough power to turn with the weight of all the pellets in the hopper.

Reactions: ARC
Auger motor may be weak, not enough power to turn with the weight of all the pellets in the hopper.

No, it’s definitely turning. I’ve had the side panel off and can see it working. It will sometimes be fine for a couple hours after loading up, sometimes it does it right away. It got stuck yesterday and it was barely 1/4 full. I looked at the pellets and there doesn’t appear to be any excessively long ones or anything.

The feed opening is adjusted more towards the narrow side, but if I open it anymore, it dumps too many pellets and the fire gets out of hand.

Like Sysko said, feed motor is kacking out. Replace it.

Is there a set screw were the motor and spring assembly attach if it is loose it could turn when few pellets dragging on it and slip when a lot of pellets?

From manual: Page 16
16. FEED SYSTEM
The feed system pulls pellets up the feed tube from the hopper,
using a hollow auger spring, and drops them down the feed
chute into the firepot. The feed rate is adjustable; for complete
instructions read the fuel feed system in the cleaning and
maintenance section of this manual. NOTE: The feed motor
will not operate when the front door of the insert is open. If
you are having fuel problems, check the following:
A. Check the ramp in the firepot to see that it is free of fuel or
other materials.
B. Check the set screw on the end of the motor shaft to see that
it is tight and not slipping.

C. Check the electrical power to the motor.
D. Check the vacuum switch hose connections.

Attachments

• man_1100.pdf
    820.6 KB · Views: 238
Here is your tech manual if you don't already have it:

Attachments

• Quadrafire-1100-Insert-Technical.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 154
Not the best picture it is a snapshot off a vhs tape but inside that black hole is a set screw.

Attachments

• quadra1100setscrew.jpg
    quadra1100setscrew.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 122
Take a small mirror and a lightvand look up the feed tube and see if there are pellets bridged or something blocking the down tubw

Reactions: johneh and ARC
I keep wondering why they use an open helix instead of a conventional solid center helix (auger) like everyone else uses. I'd think a solid center helix (auger) would feed better and be less prone to jamming plus it would require less power to elevate the fuel.

Think if I had one (Quad), I'd refit a solid center auger from another manufacturer myself.

Just don't like the design and it requires you to purchase a part that is unique to the unit too so, they can charge more (for less in my view).