Quadra Fire 3100i doesn't heat the whole house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A face cord will stack 16" x 4' x 8'

I would stack it exactly 8 ft wide and 4 ft tall so that there is no wiggle room on the seller's part. You might also check your states weights and measures division. In WA state the rules are quite clear and strictly enforced.

I would stack it exactly 8 ft wide and 4 ft tall so that there is no wiggle room on the seller's part. You might also check your states weights and measures division. In WA state the rules are quite clear and strictly enforced.

Where can I find the info about my state, just Google it?

How do you PM on here?
In the upper right corner there is a little envelope symbol. Click on that.
Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 9.56.57 AM.png

Reactions: deborita3
In New York, all firewood sales and advertising must include the three dimensions of the wood, that is length, width, and height, with the wood ranked and well stowed.

https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/WM/WMwood.html

Did you get a receipt? ( also required by NYS).

No receipt but I saved the texts we exchanged where he told me the price for 1 cord. I have his name as well and his advertisement. He delivers in my neighborhood that I just moved into a few months ago. His advertisement doesn't mention the measurements or how long it's been seasoned. I texted him and asked how long it's been seasoned and he didn't answer.

Most likely not seasoned or it it is, just for a few weeks or months. Truly seasoned wood goes for a premium price and is rare.

Most likely not seasoned or it it is, just for a few weeks or months. Truly seasoned wood goes for a premium price and is rare.

He advertised it as seasoned. He delivered it in his pickup truck. I read the link you posted and it said it's not possible to put a cord in a pickup truck because it would be too high. I was expecting he to make 2 deliveries because there would be alot of wood. He only delivered 1 truck load.

A pickup load is definitely not a full cord or even close. If the wood is actually not seasoned and burnable you may need to have this fellow take his wood back and reimburse you. It would help to do an actual moisture reading on the inside of the wood, but regardless weights and measures will back you up on the shorting. Document everything including a shot of his advertisement.

When I click on a members name I am not seeing the envelope to msg them
Double click on the envelope symbol at the top right of this website page first. Then click on the big, blue, Start a New Conversation button.

Reactions: deborita3
IMG_20181030_181735896.jpg My husband and I stacked the wood tonight. We used pallets which are 4ft, we measured to 8ft long. In the pic you can see three boards attached to the pallet. The boards are a little over 3ft high. This clearly isn't a cord of wood

Not quite a third of a cord. Did you pay for a full cord? Is the wood heavy and wet inside or dry?

No its a face cord also known as a rick, also known as a 1/3 cord. And 175 is a lot for a face cord. I get full cords at 175 dumped 210 they stack it for me. Also that is not seasoned. You can tell by looking at it. But all wood sellers say there wood is seasoned. Next time ask them what the % moisture is. Anything over 22% is not seasoned. Even 22% is high. I always ask them to deliver there most seasoned wood they have then I leave it stacked for 18 months or so before I try to burn it.

Time to call him up and ask when the other two pickup truck loads will be delivered. If he gives you any grief, remind him of the NYS weights and measures requirements and ask if he is licensed to sell wood. I

He has 3 choices. Make good and deliver the other 2/3ds of the cord, reimburse you and pickup his wood, or be reported and face a visitation and stiff fine from weights and measures. Personally I'd go for option 2, the wood doesn't look seasoned.

Does it not look seasoned because of the color of the wood?

I spoke with him. He agreed to bring more but first said we didn't pay him $175, only $85. We withdrew $175 and we are honest people. He didn't even count it when my husband gave it to him. He said he stuck it in his console and counted it after he left and there was only $85 so he said he thought we only wanted a truck load. He later said he may have mixed up the money with another customer and that customer cheated him.

If your saying the wood isn't seasoned then I can't use it so it may be better to just have him pick it up.

Sorry to say but this fellow sounds shady and that is a bogus excuse. You ordered a cord and he showed up with a pickup load. That was before he put any money anywhere.

The wood looks freshly split. The wood will darken as it seasons. It will also start to check on the ends and will feel notably lighter as the moisture content decreases.

He told me a cord. 1/2 cord $80 1 cord $175
Usually there is a discount for buying more. I'd have probably ordered 2 half cords (80+80=160 vs 175). That was a tip-off that the seller was not the sharpest tool in the shed. You're getting good advice, good luck getting things straightened out.

Reactions: Dug8498
Usually there is a discount for buying more. I'd have probably ordered 2 half cords (80+80=160 vs 175). That was a tip-off that the seller was not the sharpest tool in the shed. You're getting good advice, good luck getting things straightened out.

He doesn't seem organized or know what he's doing. I won't be getting anymore from him. I only tried him because he delivers in the neighborhood and I joined an online neighborhood site for my area and didnt hear anything negative about him. People in the neighborhood post alot about good and bad experiences they have recommend or not recommend someone.