Quadra Fire 3100i doesn't heat the whole house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
He is not selling legally. That is your hole card. If he is only taking cash he may not be reporting it to the IRS either.

Reactions: cbscout
He doesn't seem organized or know what he's doing. I won't be getting anymore from him. I only tried him because he delivers in the neighborhood and I joined an online neighborhood site for my area and didnt hear anything negative about him. People in the neighborhood post alot about good and bad experiences they have recommend or not recommend someone.
Well, I do hope you get what you paid for. Your story sure makes me glad I have a little woodlot and bunch of neighbors who are looking to get rid of wood. And, a chainsaw.

Sorry to say but this fellow sounds shady and that is a bogus excuse. You ordered a cord and he showed up with a pickup load. That was before he put any money anywhere.

The wood looks freshly split. The wood will darken as it seasons. It will also start to check on the ends and will feel notably lighter as the moisture content decreases.

I agree. He claims he counted the money after he left saw there was $85 which is not the case. Gave him $175 . He must have picked up someone else's payment(not very organized)He said when he saw there was only $85 he thought we only wanted a 1/2 cord so he didn't come back with more even though my text msg asked for a full cord. Won't be doing business with him anymore.

He owes you either wood or cash back.

Well, I do hope you get what you paid for. Your story sure makes me glad I have a little woodlot and bunch of neighbors who are looking to get rid of wood. And, a chainsaw.

We just moved here. Use to live in a condo before we got the house. There are alot of trees here in my neighborhood and my backyard. My husband needs to get a chainsaw and cut our own wood. Maybe next year. We have only been here 4 months and had some other priorities so couldn't get a chainsaw or log splitter.

We just moved here. Use to live in a condo before we got the house. There are alot of trees here in my neighborhood and my backyard. My husband needs to get a chainsaw and cut our own wood. Maybe next year. We have only been here 4 months and had some other priorities so couldn't get a chainsaw or log splitter.
You are right, your husband definitely needs to get a chainsaw. Maybe you, too. Your new nickname in the neighborhood could be "Chainsaw Deborita". The other ladies would talk and talk.

And you both need to get your priorities straight. ;-) Wood first!

Reactions: deborita3
Last edited:
... I only tried him because he delivers in the neighborhood and I joined an online neighborhood site for my area and didnt hear anything negative about him. People in the neighborhood post alot about good and bad experiences they have recommend or not recommend someone.
Deborita,

You're probably talking about Nextdoor.com or something like it. You're right, you can get some good info from the neighborhood. I've also learned to double check them though with things like this, as most are ignorant about the details, and only burn in their fireplace occasionally or in their firepit in the warmer seasons.

This is my first season burning, and I just had an insert installed, so I was late getting wood. I had to depend on finding an honest seller. I have gone to each one's property and tested the wood moisture content myself - asked them straight out to cut a fresh split, even when they told me it had just been split. Hey, you're paying for it. Definitely worth the investment of the time and effort, since I hadn't had the opportunity to season any wood myself. Sorry you got caught in that circumstance. I finally found someone who had a good bit of dry ash that will give me (hopefully) most of what I need for the winter - gave him information that helped him know what to look for as a new firewood provider, too.

Deborita,

You're probably talking about Nextdoor.com or something like it. You're right, you can get some good info from the neighborhood. I've also learned to double check them though with things like this, as most are ignorant about the details, and only burn in their fireplace occasionally or in their firepit in the warmer seasons.

This is my first season burning, and I just had an insert installed, so I was late getting wood. I had to depend on finding an honest seller. I have gone to each one's property and tested the wood moisture content myself - asked them straight out to cut a fresh split, even when they told me it had just been split. Hey, you're paying for it. Definitely worth the investment of the time and effort, since I hadn't had the opportunity to season any wood myself. Sorry you got caught in that circumstance. I finally found someone who had a good bit of dry ash that will give me (hopefully) most of what I need for the winter - gave him information that helped him know what to look for as a new firewood provider, too.

Yes I was talking about next-door.com I definitely don't use that site for my ultimate decision on choosing someone as it is my responsibility to check someone out but I do get some good info.

This is our first season as well. We never had a wood stove. We lived in a condo for many years and growing up we didn't have one either so this was all new to me. I had never heard of a cord of wood before LOL but this site and videos on YouTube have taught me alot. We will definitely be prepared next winter. Thanks for your post!

i know i've mentioned it before, but have you looked into the compressed wood blocks? they would seem ideal for someone in your situation.

Yes I was talking about next-door.com I definitely don't use that site for my ultimate decision on choosing someone as it is my responsibility to check someone out but I do get some good info.
I may have come across wrong regarding how you were interacting with the neighborhood on nextdoor.com. Sorry about that. Wasn't assuming you didn't know to double check people's info. ==c

I may have come across wrong regarding how you were interacting with the neighborhood on nextdoor.com. Sorry about that. Wasn't assuming you didn't know to double check people's info. ==c

No worries. I didn't take it that way. I appreciate all the help I have received here!

2 rows dries better.

3 rows that are 16" wide x 4' high x 8' long

IMG_20181031_191736840.jpg IMG_20181031_173342563.jpg This what he delivered today. 1 more truck loads for 1 cord. I have them stacked in 3 rows but it's definitely not 4' high

it's actually 3 face cords which equals 1 cord, 3 x 16 inches wide makes 4 feet, so it equals 4' x 4' x 8'

A cord of wood is 4x8x4. My pallet is 4ft wide and three rows fits perfectly. I never stacked a cord of wood before so I want to know the right way to do it to see if I have exactly 1 cord.
Three 16" rows to measure. Worry about drying later. If you have 2 skids, and can manage to get the wood stacked 4' high, you have your cord.

Think about it like it's a shoe box, measured 4' high, 4' wide, 8' long.

it does look close too a half cord, but not a full cord