Quadra-Fire Classic bay 1200 I vs HArman accentra Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smirnov3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 7, 2006
Eastern Ma
Ok, I know this may starts a religious war (about which is better), but I am considering buying one of these two pellet inserts, and want some advice:

1) do either of these have any maintenance 'issues' (ie manufacturing defects, wearing out fast, hard to maintain, etc)

2) which is quieter (I thought about asking the dealerto fire them up so I could hear for myself, but I didn't feel like being laughed at, given that it was in the upper 80s)

3) the Classic Bay 1200i claims a minimum feed rate of 2lbs / hour (harman's minimum is 0.5 lb/hour). so it seems like it will end up overshooting / shutting off a lot on days that aren't so cold. Any problems with that? sounds kind of wastefull.

Both are good stoves. We had the 1200i for 5 yrs. and think it is a great insert. (Sold due to complete remodel and removal of the fireplace.)
We've never had a Harman so I won't compare. Overshoot is not possible on mild days because the stove is running on a thermostat. If you don't need heat, the stove is off. Ours was on a digital thermostat which allowed us to set it up for night and daytime temps. Nice to wake up to a warm house with the stove going. We found the stove to be reliable and easy to use. Quietness is relative. We almost always ran ours on high which meant a louder blower noise, but it was not so obnoxious that we couldn't hear the tv when it was running. At low speed it's pretty reasonable. Minor quibbles with the stove would be a) the glass would get dirty pretty quickly and needed cleaning every other week and b) due to the shallow nature of the hopper, one had to coax the pellets towards the bottom of the chute once or twice a day. I found that this was mitigated by waxing the metal chute at the beginning of the season to make it more slippery. But overall, we loved the stove and will miss it.

You, know, there both good pelletstoves. The 1200 is one of the best that quad has made. it been in production the longest, and has most all the bugs worked out. Any pellet stove is going to have issues. Its in there nature, expecially with the modern plug and play ones. You have 2 or three blowers, a computer, snap disks, and more. Harmon and Quad are both top of the line. You will be happy with either one you buy, better yet, but the one from the dealerthat is going to do a better job servicing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.