Quadra-Fire Discovery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gr8ftblr

Mar 12, 2017
SE Tennessee
I have a new construction and I am looking to install a stove to provide the bulk of the heat for my home although I will have central heat and air. I have 1600 sq feet main floor with 1500 sq/ft basement (finished), foam insulation, zone 3.
My local dealer sales Quadra-Fire. I am impressed with published burn times and emissions of the Discovery III. My issue is I can't find ANY reviews on this unit despite QF saying it's their best selling stove ever. Also, many of the QF stoves that have been reviewed are either non-wood burners or discontinued.
My other stove option is a PE Super Heritage sold by a dealer about 30 miles away. Plenty of PE reviews to say the least.
BTW, should I even TRY to heat the basement?
Thanks and looking forward to contributing to forum!

Don't let distance to the dealer be too big a factor for you. While some dealers are better than others, I haven't ever had much need for one after the sale, particularly when you have this much better resource (hearth.com) at your fingertips.

PE is one of the most highly praised brands, here. Quad, less so, but I can't say I know why. I'm sure some Quad owners will be along soon, to fill you in.

Oh, on heating from the basement, how is it insulated? Think convective stoves, if you go that route.

As far as the basement goes, it is insulated and I was just planning on running the central air fan.

I assume your going to run one stove. For a few reasons, I would put it in the main living floor. Tending the stove, requires monitoring the burn, adjusting the air and reloading. All this is easily done if your in the stove room or near by. If I had to climb up and down stairs, I wouldn't be running the stove. Besides getting the heat out of the basement is often hard to do.

Welcome to Hearth.com. When looking at any new stove take the marketing literature and sales talk with a grain of salt. Burn time will be entirely relative to the house, the wood burn, the stove operation and outdoor temps.

Heating from a basement is possible, but with some caveats. It can be challenging and often leads to a hot basement in order to have a comfortable floor above. Using the central air system is often inefficient unless the ductwork is all in the heated space, sealed and well insulated. Even then there is a cost to running a large blower motor continuously. That said it can be done and in some cases, like where the stove is close to a large open stairwell with a large door opening at the top, the heat can convect pretty well. If basement installed, plan on having an outside air supply for the stove.

Using a 2.3 cu ft stove to heat 3100 sq ft has me skeptical. It may be possible with everything optimal, but I would consider either putting the stove on the first floor or going up in size to a 2.5-3 cu ft stove.

I will NOT be putting stove in basement! It will be in main living space in lain floor.
Should I pick my stove based on 1600 sq/ft main floor or include 1500 in basement as well. If I shouldn't expect to heat basement with Central air fan running regardless of unit size then I should just go from main floor footage, right?

Remember, foam insulation, SE Tennessee, mild winters.

I will NOT be putting stove in basement! It will be in main living space in lain floor.
Should I pick my stove based on 1600 sq/ft main floor or include 1500 in basement as well. If I shouldn't expect to heat basement with Central air fan running regardless of unit size then I should just go from main floor footage, right?
Yes, that's correct. Thanks for the clarification. Either stove should do the job in that case. Both are from good companies.

Basement heating using the central air system may not be effective, but it doesn't hurt to try and see. If the duct system is tight and well insulated and so is the basement, there may be some gain there.