• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

blakebrown71

Jan 12, 2023
Wisconsin
Hello,

I'm considering purchasing my first wood insert and have not been able to find much info on the Expedition I, only the Expedition II.

Does anyone have an Expedition I that they can share their thoughts on?
  • Main purpose is to upgrade an existing fireplace in the basement of our ranch style home
  • Basement is not heated. Doesn't get extremely cold, but cold enough that you need an extra blanket if watching TV down there in single digit weather
  • Our chimney liners need to be replaced for both our main level and basement fireplaces, so I figure I might as well upgrade the basement to an insert to provide some heat to the area when hanging out
I've done a good deal of research but still very new to the wood stove/insert world.

Fireplace/insert is solely used for "fun" and ambiance on nights and weekends, the heat from the insert will just be a perk, so not my main concern.

Main concern is the very small viewing window on the Expedition I, but the chimney company said and Expedition II will not fit due to height.
  • Fireplace opening is 34" W x 23.5" T x 25" D
  • Expedition II lists the minimum height as 23 3/8" which we have, but the installer said they need more room than what's listed so they can get their hands above the insert to connect the flue, etc.
    • How he explained it makes sense, but does that make sense to you guys?
    • Just surprised all inserts have minimum opening dimensions but apparently don't account for the space needed to actually install?

Hesitant to give up the open fireplace since main use is the ambiance it provides, but I know an insert will be the smart choice to provide some heat as well. Just looking for some insight and advice so that I don't end up regretting the decision and wondering how much ambiance we'll really get from the Expedition I's mini window.

Reactions: bholler
  • Expedition II lists the minimum height as 23 3/8" which we have, but the installer said they need more room than what's listed so they can get their hands above the insert to connect the flue, etc.
    • How he explained it makes sense, but does that make sense to you guys?
    • Just surprised all inserts have minimum opening dimensions but apparently don't account for the space needed to actually install?
I have an expedition II. Due to the wonky ACC system I would not recommend it, but since you're burning mainly for ambiance it should be OK. 1/8" is hardly any clearance and it wouldn't take much for it not to fit. I don't know if I would take the risk.
However, they do not need to get their hands in there to connect the liner. It is connected on the inside of the stove. The procedure is explained in their installation manual, that you can find on their website. Basically you attach the appliance connector to the liner and then connect it with a bar on the inside of the stove.

Expedition II lists the minimum height as 23 3/8" which we have, but the installer said they need more room than what's listed so they can get their hands above the insert to connect the flue, etc.
There are flue liner starters made for tight situations. The liner is pulled and attached from inside the stove.

This one is by SBI liner to insert collar SBI.jpg

This is by RLH liner to insert start collar.png
It's also sold by integrityventingsystems.com

I think there are other companies making them too.

Last edited:
For alternatives, look at the Lopi Answer insert. It's 20" high. Or the Evergreen at 23" tall. Note that the Lopi Evergreen manual shows the liner starter in the post above in the Flue Installation part of the manual. You can show this to your installer.

This shouldn't be a big deal. There are other inserts that will fit like the 21" Drolet 1500 Escape insert or the True North TN20 at 20 1/8" tall or PE Super at 20 7/8" tall.

This is what I was trying to describe. The liner is attached from the inside of the stove
IMG-1740.jpg

Reactions: begreen