Quadra Fire Isle Royal Good & Bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prestonmoler

Jun 19, 2010
Maryland
To those of you who have this stove, or know about this stove, would you enlighten me on the good and bad about this stove. I am close to getting a 5700 step top, but really like the look of the Isle Royal, especially in Porcelain. Even how well you think these two stoves compare. How well does the paint (black or pocelain) hold up? Any input would be appreciated very much.

Thank you to all,
PJM

Be patient. It is summer. Owners of that excellent wood stove will be along.

Both are good stoves. But if the Isle Royale is calling you I don't think you will be disappointed. The IR was on our very short list of 3 stoves. I contacted a lot of owners about it and was ready to go for one when the T6 came knocking on my door. If you search through reports on this stove you will see that most owners are very happy with this stove. It is a great heater, nice looking and well made.

pjm said:
To those of you who have this stove, or know about this stove, would you enlighten me on the good and bad about this stove. I am close to getting a 5700 step top, but really like the look of the Isle Royal, especially in Porcelain. Even how well you think these two stoves compare. How well does the paint (black or pocelain) hold up? Any input would be appreciated very much.

Thank you to all,
PJM

I have never read one bad thing on this forum about the Isle Royal. Before I picked up the Heritage, the Isle Royal was one of the stoves I was looking for in the used market. After dealing with an enamel Vermont Castings Intrepid I am not a fan of enamel/porcelain/whatever coatings.

pjm said:
What was it about the enamal paint you did not like?

On the Intrepid, which is a different stove and manufacturer, it chips easily. I bought it used with some chipping already existing and the chipping grew quite a bit over a single year. I plan on stripping it down and repainting it.

I responded to your PM.

In short: great stove, very reliable, easy to use with 2 controls. Mine has been trouble free and appears that it should continue that trend for many years to come.

I'm a black cast iron fan, so thats what mine is. It just fits in the old farm house decor (if thats what you want to call it).

It puts out some pretty big heat. Assuming that heat distribution is not an issue, that stove should be able to heat any 2000 SQFT home with reasonable insulation at an idle.

When I find a downside I will let you know what it is. OH - HEY - I just thought of one. The tiny little cap that caps the end of the handle for the ashpan fell out once.

pjm said:
Has the black paint held up, or how often have you had to repaint it?
Thanks for the input.

I have never repainted it, but in direct sunlight, I can start to see some fade on the doors. I am guessing after next season I will consider a new paint job for it.

BrowningBAR said:
pjm said:
What was it about the enamal paint you did not like?

On the Intrepid, which is a different stove and manufacturer, it chips easily. I bought it used with some chipping already existing and the chipping grew quite a bit over a single year. I plan on stripping it down and repainting it.

This may be a quality control issue. Enameling has to be done correctly or it will flake overtime with the heating and cooling cycles of the stove. Some manufacturers seem to do it better than others. We have a 25 yr old Jotul 602 in dark red enamel that still looks great. Jotul and Hearthstone also offer a newer enameling process in a couple colors that appears to be quite tough. It's more like a thick powder coating. It is only in ivory and blue-black at this point. Our Castine had this finish and it was very nice. I'd have no hesitation at getting another Jotul in enamel, especially the new finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.