Quadra Fire Remote Thermostats - any feedback\opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbjelka

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2008
Western CT
Hi,
Anyone have any feedback on the Quadra Fire Remote Thermostats? I am looking to hook one up to a Castile Insert. Any good or bad feedback would be appreciated. The dealer tried to steer me clear but I like the idea of being able to move the thermostat from room to room. He claimed they need to be line of sight with only about a 20 foot range, is that true? Any feedback on the Smart-Batt vs Smart-Stat models would be helpful as well. I'm kicking around the remotes vs the programable vs the standard thermostat options from quad and wondering which way to go.

Thanks!

When I bought our Castile free-standing a couple of months ago, I also liked the idea of being able to put the remote thermostat anywhere I wanted so I bought one. After I got the stove installed, I took a good long look at the instructions and as it turns out, it would have worked on my stove, but it was made for gas-fired heaters. Here is the link to the one they sold me (the RCK-D). As it was it cost me $200.00 (way overpriced) and I also realized that it was not programable. I very much want to be able to set-back the temperature at night, so I'll get a Honeywell from Home Depot very soon. I returned the remote unit and used my money to purchase a Cougar AshVac instead.

Like me, your stove probably came with a thermostat which I hooked up and it works just fine, but again - non-programable.

For me, the remote is just not what I wanted.

Steve

steve pretty much summed it up, i was looking to purchase one with my new stove and that is what i learned, thought it would be cool to have sumthin i could take from room to room but it is NOT programmable.
just wanted to add that i also learned the batt model xmiter runs on batteries and the stat is hard wired to electric for power

I have the Quad remote thermostat....2 words....."Love it"! No remorse for buying it whatsoever. Even though its not programmable I like the idea of being able to put it where I want it(I usually keep it in my hall way). But its probaly a personal choice but i like it :)

Your dealer is an idiot. They are not line of sight. They use RF technology, you could use it from behind a wall, or turn around backwards.

I do not like the range on the newest ones we have been getting from SkyTech though. Seems like one will be like 10 ft then the next one you open it works all the way across the room.

Thanks to everyone for all info. After reading the install manuals I thought the dealer was mistaken on the line of sight thing. About the SkyTech remotes, are those the same as the Quadra-fire branded models? If not, any exoerience with the Quad branded ones? Also would be interested on all your opinions on whether you woud go wall mounted programable or remote.

Thanks again, Ken

Well we normally use Heat & Glo remotes which are made by SkyTech. The Quad remotes are identical except they have a Quad logo on them. The last Quad remote I saw was from the old vendor (or just the old design from SkyTech maybe). Probably was just old stock.

Recently though the SkyTech remotes have been a lot better. I think they just had some initial problems.

I have a skytech on my Quad and can use it anywhere in the house regardless of walls or what floor I am on. Works great and was a cheap purchase on ebay.

Thanks, I may go the eBay route now that I know the Quad remote is just a re-branded SkyTech. Anyone using the Quadra-Fire programmable wall mounted thermostat with a Castile? I am wondering if it is the same programmable thermostat as the Mt Vernon model. If so, I would think a lot of the advanced options that would not work with the Castile. Still trying to decide between programmable and non-programmable. If I go non-programmable I think I will opt for the remote based on all the feedback. Thanks to all who responded so far.

Its not the Mt Vernon switch at all. The Mt Vernon stat can ONLY be used on the Mt Vernon.

To me the programmable one for the castile looks like an ancient design. Its got a turn dial to switch from run mode to program mode, etc.... Personally I think they need to update it. It is either a Honeywell or some other name brand stats with Quad logos on it. It does work good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.