Quadra-fire Voyager Grand Insert Burning Hot and Fast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikeytw24

Nov 20, 2019
Hastings, MN
Hello! First time post here, I have been reading the threads the past couple of months to help with my decision process on which wood burning insert to buy for my 1850's fireplace upgrade. Ultimately I decided on getting the Voyager Grand wood insert from Quadra-fire. I appreciate all the posts and information I found on this website.

I have been burning 2 year seasoned Oak wood in the Voyager Grand for the past 2 months and I feel the insert is burning very hot and fast with almost no effect from the Burn Control, or ACC on the size of the flames and heat output. I can fully load the insert with wood before heading to bed at 10:00pm and I am only getting maybe 5-6 hours of burn time maximum. When I get up around 6:00 am there is usually no hot coals and I have to restart the fire with paper and kindling. This is nowhere near the advertised burn time of 14 hours from Quadra-fire. I know the advertised burn times are not very realistic, but I was hoping to be getting more than 5-6 hours.

I know how to operate the stove, my parents have had a Voyager insert for 3-4 years and with their insert the flame size noticeably drops when the Burn Control is turned all the way down. With my ACC completely off, and my burn control all the way down if I fully load the firebox it eventually gets so hot in there the flames are wrapping all the way around the tubes and shooting up over the ceramic blanket on top and most likely going up the chimney liner. It appears that the controls aren't working and I can't further restrict the amount of air getting to the firebox. I even installed the front block off plate that is usually used when an Outdoor Air Kit is installed (which I don't have) to try and further restrict the amount of air it is getting.

I have done a lot of research and I have found similar posts on this issue, but I have no solution. I am looking for any tips or comments from anyone who has experienced similar issues? I appreciate any comments or help anyone can offer, thanks for reading!

Could be mechanical failure of the acc causing it to stay open, but first I would check the door gasket (and adjust door latch if necessary) with the dollar bill test. Also check the glass gasket. One way to do this is get a fire started and when it's roaring along light an incense stick and run it around the perimeter of the glass. If there's a leak it will pull the incense smoke in.

Has it always burned hot and fast? If so, and it's not the gaskets then it may be a draft issue. How tall is your chimney?