QuadraFire 4300 or 5700?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elbinwyp

Jan 4, 2014
Ohio
Just moved into an old farm house in NW Ohio and am looking to get off of the electric heat as fast as possible. First time homeowner and first time stove user.
I have a local dealer suggesting I go with QuadraFire but doesnt seem certain on whether the 4300 or the 5700 would be best. The house is 2200 with two stories and a fairly open floor plan. Windows were installed mid-90's and insulation was added. Still a pretty drafty and inefficient house. We are looking to install the stove in a main living room on the first floor.
It seems like we are right at the cut off of the 4300 not being big enough and the 5700 being too big. My gut instinct is to go with the 5700 and run it light. Will we cook ourselves out of the living room?
Also, based upon my hours of reading on Hearth it seems like QuadraFire is a pretty fail proof way to go. Would folks agree with that for a first time stove user? With the Quad being a convection stove, are they still warm and pleasant to gather around?
Thanks!

The 5700 would be the suggestion of this lover of big honkin steels stoves. You won't gather around it when you have it loaded up and cranking for a night burn. Folks will move farther away as it cranks up. It is a heating beast.

But don't expect to sit cuddled up to it. For that matter with the 4300 either. But as far as the rated space goes, always go one size up and that says 5700 and burn smaller hot fires in it when you don't need as much heat.

Reactions: PapaDave
I have the 4300 step top, heating a 2000sf colonial. There are times i wish i had the 5700 but i would definitely cook myself out of our living room. At times i cook myself out of the living room with the 4300. A bonus of the 5700 is it takes larger logs, 24in vs 20in.

I would not hesitate to put a 3 cu ft stove in your house. Looks like you sit right between the lakes so I'd say go for it. You can always just burn 2 sticks at a time when its 30 out. Enjoy.

Thanks for all the input. I made the mistake of showing my wife a picture of a Woodstock.She loves them. I have dug into the company and the Progress Hybrid and am pretty intrigued. The thought of a softer heat in our living room sounds appealing. Right now its looking like I am going to hold off on rushing to get one installed this winter and thoroughly plan for next year. Are there significant cost savings from building my own hearth pad and sourcing chimney materials independently? I feel comfortable with those aspects but dont totally feel comfortable installing a chimney.

Start processing your wood as soon as possible. You are already short on time to get it seasoned for next winter. Maybe consider buying wood that is already split to get a head start.

Yes - there are cost savings in a DIY install for stove and stack. Check with your Ins. Co. Some (but not all) require professional installs.

Welcome to the Hearth, Elbinwyp.
The "thoroughly planning for next year" aspect should include as priority #1.... wood.
Just be aware of all CTC's, including any hearth floor requirements for the stove you choose and DIY is very DIYable.:cool:
Does your dealer sell anything other than QF stoves?

The dealer actually has a pretty nice variety of stoves. Jotul, VC, HearthStone, and others. On the phone the only stoves the rep wanted to talk about were the Quads. I have looked into the Jotul F600 and the HearthStone. Any big differences between Hearthstone and Woodstock? There dont seem to be many reviews of Hearthstones on here. If I wanted to go soap stone, is the simplicity of having the dealer work with Hearthstone to ship, etc worth choosing them over a woodstock?

I love my 5700! I only wish my blower had a thermostat on it, perhaps that is an option now. Otherwise great stove. Would NOT get the ash drawer, if had it to do again. Others may love the ash drawer, I simply don't find it useful.

Good luck and welcome to a great forum of helpful people!

I love my 5700! I only wish my blower had a thermostat on it,

Google "stove stat". I am not affiliated, just a happy user of the product for many years.

Well I jumped on the Woodstock bandwagon. I have read enough positive things about the Ideal Steel that I have placed a reservation for the stove. I was debating on that or the progress hybrid and feel that the cost difference is worth taking a chance on the Ideal Steel. I have no money down but figured it would be good to get my name on the list so that I can be sure that I have it ready for next heating season.

I suggest the Jotul or really any other stove. I sold my Quad and bought a Jotul. The convection of the stove is not the same type of heat as a true radiant stove. It is a much softer heat. I could actually touch the side jackets on the quad when the stove was burning. The only place I had radiant heat was from the front glass and the top I got so frustrated I took the side jackets off the stove and tried to use it that way but it still was not putting out enough heat. Sold it and bought a jotul F500 and now have a radiant stove that heats the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.