Quadrafire Cape Cod brick, felt & gasket. Is it worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Etta

Aug 27, 2019
Claysburg, PA
Hi Everyone!
I'm new here and looking for some advice. I picked up a Quadrafire with a few cracks in it on Craigslist (It was filthy and at night, I didn't see the cracks).

I'm wondering if it will be worth it to replace the bricks, blanket, and gaskets, or if it is an unsafe monster waiting to kill me with CO or burn my house down. The cost of the parts to line it with new brick, blanket, and gaskets will be about $500.

It looks otherwise sound. One thin crack in the top, and some deformation and cracks in an interior plate in the back.

Your thoughts?
fullsizeoutput_a79.jpg IMG_1371.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an oldie, made by Dovre. Parts are going to be scarce. You may be able to nurse it through another season or two. Drill a small 3/32" hole at the end of the top crack to stop it from spreading.

Several folks on this forum have bought new quality Englander stoves for ~$500 otd. These seem to be a different brand depending on where you live. You will have the benefit of a warranty, use less wood, and a great view of the fire (Begreen is usually the first to mention this).