QuadraFire Castile Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

calsettle

Oct 26, 2022
PA
I'm installing a QuadraFire Castile Pellet stove in a home with a dual flu masonry chimney. One flu 6x8 terminates into the living room wall 8 inch opening. It previously was connected to a Frankin Fireplace (free standing wood burner) then a Vigilant coal stove. Everyone I talk to insists on a 3 or 4 inch chimney limner. Quadra fire offers a 6 inch connector PN 812-3570. My thinking is this is to vent into a masonry chimney like mine. Comments welcome.

My stove is vented into a class A 6-inch chimney
I see no reason not to vent into a masonry chimney
as long as it is solid and clean

So I did get a short response from QuadraFire the the 3 to 6 inch adaptor is to run 6 inch pipe into a masonry flu. I had a chimney guy out today who commented that while it does work it creates a mess in the chimney as apposed to having a 4 inch liner.

The only mess I see is ash build up and you would get the same in a liner!
I think he sees $$$$

I tend to agree with you. They all seem to want to sell liners. The irony is that the stove manufacture makes a 6 inch adapter to run 6 inch stove pipe really has me leaning towards trying it. I plan on cleaning the chimney yearly anyway. The same guys who want to sell me the liner told me two years ago they couldn't clean the chimney because it needed a liner. I just bought a ferret sweeps camera. The liner is like new. Go figure....... LOL