Quadrafire Castille won't run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth in Maine

Nov 7, 2016
Maine
I've got an older Castille that's giving me some issues.
Ran fine last year after I gave it a solid cleaning.
Right now, this is what it's doing: (cleaning has been done)

1)Set the thermostat for heat.
2)Exhaust blower comes on.
3)Auger turns on, deposits some pellets in the burn pot.
4)Igniter does it's job, pellets start to burn.
5)Flame reaches several inches over the burn pot
5)Auger turns on again, more pellets come out.
7)Flame maintains it's height. Starts to slow down.
8)Auger no longer feeds. At no point does the convection blower come on.
9) Stove goes into "cooldown" mode

I jumpered snap disc #1 and the blower comes on right away. So I thought maybe the issue was the snap disc. Local stove shop had a replacement for $22. I wasn't able to speak to anyone about this issue, as their service/sales guys were with other customers and they were close to closing.
Replaced the snap disc and the stove remains the same.

Guidance on what to check/replace next?

I'm guessing the thermocouple, I would check to see if it's seated to the end of the thermocouple cover, and also check that the end of the thermocouple wire is not cracked, etc. If you have a bad thermocouple it won't sense the heat and then just shut down....hopefully someone else will chime in too, just my novice opinion.

Reactions: kappel15
After ignition, the thermocouple is what drives the auger to start feeding again, sending a small voltage to control board, indicating ignition has happened. The stove continues to burn, pellets being fed, heat exchanger warms up, snap disc 1 closes allowing convection blower to run. Sounds like thermocouple is not sending the correct signal to the control board or the control board is not working correctly. Sounds like the auger motor is doing its thing and the combustion blower is ok. Make sure thermocouple is pushed out all the way into the cap, that it extends about 1/2 to 3/4 inch over the burn pot. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Reactions: kappel15
After ignition, the thermocouple is what drives the auger to start feeding again, sending a small voltage to control board, indicating ignition has happened. The stove continues to burn, pellets being fed, heat exchanger warms up, snap disc 1 closes allowing convection blower to run. Sounds like thermocouple is not sending the correct signal to the control board or the control board is not working correctly. Sounds like the auger motor is doing its thing and the combustion blower is ok. Make sure thermocouple is pushed out all the way into the cap, that it extends about 1/2 to 3/4 inch over the burn pot. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

The thermocouple wires are about 3/4" over the pot. Does not appear to have any cracks in it. I will inspect it closer, though.
From other searches, I understand that if the thermocouple is bad, it will flash amber lights. All I get is Red, green for a while, and then back to red.
If I start from the get go with the convection blower motor jumpered, it does....nothing. Fan runs, but it never feeds pellets. Plug in stove, a get a series of blue lights blinking in a series of 4 blinks, pause for a bit, four more blinks, etc. This goes on for a minute or so. And then, nothing

The convection blower only blows air into the room. Maybe you meant combustion blower? It runs, creating a vacuum in firebox, which closes switch in vac switch, sending power to the auger motor. And did it run long enough to get stove hot enough for the convection fan to come on, or not get hot enough to get out of startup mode, and then automatically go into shutdown mode, or quit feeding before that? If before that, I would lean towards thermocouple too, or control box. kap

The convection blower only blows air into the room. Maybe you meant combustion blower? It runs, creating a vacuum in firebox, which closes switch in vac switch, sending power to the auger motor. And did it run long enough to get stove hot enough for the convection fan to come on, or not get hot enough to get out of startup mode, and then automatically go into shutdown mode, or quit feeding before that? If before that, I would lean towards thermocouple too, or control box. kap
Just wanted to say Hi Kap! Hope all is well. Did you get it figured out Seth?

Hey bags. How goes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.