Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 - smoking back into house after shutdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey all, appreciate the support here! Our old Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 has worked well the last couple years. However for whatever reason, this year I have had 4+ occurrences where it has smoked up badly back into the house.

Here is what happens and what I've gathered. We use the stove as supplemental heat so will typically run her for a few hours in the morning, shut her down til afternoon, empty the firepot with the pull rod into the ash pan, and restart again.

When we shut down later in the evening, the stove acts normally: pellets stop feeding, flame dies down, and the unit runs the exhaust for a while longer and then finally turns off. However, after that, sometimes we will smell a faint smoky smell that gets really bad if I dont act. I can see wisps of smoke leaking past the gaskets after the exhaust has turned off.

I open the ash pan to find large chunks of ash with embers in them, smoking almost like charcoal! They never die down. The ash pan is hardly 1/3 full so it's not like it's overfull.

I think it is these charcoal-like clinkers that are smoking off for hours and hours. What also doesnt help is that a ton of good pellets always bounce out of the firepot or miss, and fall into the ash pan, and will smoke on the hot embers below.

Any ideas on this? My wife is starting to lose faith in the stove and frankly I am too. Not sure how to combat this. I'll typically restart the exhaust a few times in hopes itll get rid of reminaining smoke, but the chunks just smoke for hours on end until I remove them entirely outside.

Thanks guys

How old is the stove? Maybe the fan exhaust fan is getting weak. I don't have an explanation for the pellets bouncing out of the firepot, but maybe someone else here does.

Thanks guys for the responses. Stove is 11 years old but had an interesting history. Was installed by previous owners, used for a few years, then they sold and the next owners didnt touch it once in 5 years! Ive been using it the last 2 or so years.

Exhaust seems strong. It pulls smoke out even with the door open, and on the outside it is blowing hard.

No draft at all actually, because it vents horizontally - about 5 or so feet out the exterior wall, straight out.

I've fine tuned the feed rate over the years. It is touchy - go too high and the flame is huge, too low and the flame barely clears the pot. I dont think that is the issue

With 5 foot of horizontal,you should add some vertical,as recommended by Quadrafire. At least 60".
This may cure both problems.

Ah I see. No OAK. Strange it seemed to run fine for years with out it but maybe I'll add some vertical. Thanks for the input